12+ Year Old Electric Water Heater Rattles when water runs

Users who are viewing this thread

Dhoerl

Reaction score
GE Profile Performance 50 gallon water heater, was installed prior to taking possession of the home.Serves a basement apartment that gets less than a full family use. Recently noticed a rattle when the water runs, stops immediately when the water stops flowing. Rattles when a faucet is opened so it seems any flow triggers it.

- appears to be coming from the top of the heater
- rattle is like a thin metal piece is moving around in a pipe
- no apparent change in slow rate - shower with no restrictor still comes on hard
- located in Queen Anne, Seattle WA - so city water

Google turns up nothing nor does this forum.

Any ideas? Does it predict upcoming failure?
Thanks for anything!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It might be one of the ball checks on the nipples at the top of the tank. Regardless, it's a noise issue and not a real one.
However, if you're thinking of sending a plumber out, it is a 12 year old tank, and it rarely makes sense to spend a lot of time on an old water heater that could fail at this point. Many condo associations in the Seattle area require water heater replacements at 10 years to prevent huge insurance claims.
And Seattle water is very good coming off the Cascades. They even tweak it a bit to get it just right.

Are you in the Seattle area now?

Cliffyk

Reaction score
I have never owned--or even seen--a water heater with the anode rod incorporated into the hot water outlet; however I understand they make such contraptions. If yours is one of those; after 12 years of service it would be one of the first things I'd check...

Dhoerl

Reaction score
It might be one of the ball checks on the nipples at the top of the tank. Regardless, it's a noise issue and not a real one.
However, if you're thinking of sending a plumber out, it is a 12 year old tank, and it rarely makes sense to spend a lot of time on an old water heater that could fail at this point. Many condo associations in the Seattle area require water heater replacements at 10 years to prevent huge insurance claims.
And Seattle water is very good coming off the Cascades. They even tweak it a bit to get it just right.

Are you in the Seattle area now?
I never got an email alert that you had posted - hope I didn't appear ungrateful. [But I got other messages - weird]. This device is attached to a basement apartment in an house owned by my daughter, I use it when visiting and she sometimes AirBnBs it out. Guess I should really install an alarm to sense if it starts leaking.

I'm not in Seattle now (NC is my home state now, was NJ) but will be back in October.

I'll also take a guess that your last name is "Love"? If so wow very honored. I'be been reading and posting (questions not answers!) since 199x. It was on your recommendation all our houses since then had Toto toilets!!!

My vey best regards!
David

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I also think it's a ball type thermosyphon stopper. I really think this is/was the dumbest idea. Water heater companies should leave the plumbing issues to plumbers and not put contraptions in their heaters that can cause more issues than it probably ever helped.

Dhoerl

Reaction score
I also think it's a ball type thermosyphon stopper. I really think this is/was the dumbest idea. Water heater companies should leave the plumbing issues to plumbers and not put contraptions in their heaters that can cause more issues than it probably ever helped.
Thanks for the response!

Dhoerl

Reaction score
I have never owned--or even seen--a water heater with the anode rod incorporated into the hot water outlet; however I understand they make such contraptions. If yours is one of those; after 12 years of service it would be one of the first things I'd check...
I had an AO Smith 75 gallon high-efficiency (PVC inlet/outlet) that I paid thousands for in 2005. My well water had lots of lime and after 8 years it started to make noises. I cleaned it out with a citric cleaner (a bit scary!), and wanted to replace the anode too. But it was located under the fan and PVC - to replace it would have been major surgery. Talked to AO Smith support, they suggested using an add on they had - smaller anode that went in the outlet. Put it in and all was well until 2021 when I sold the house. I was told that those units will last 20+ years if you clean then and keep a good anode in the tank (but just hearsay).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks