1" copper 90 sweep vs 90 elbow

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I am re routing a fresh water supply lines out of a filter big blue filter and changing the direction out of it.
I am curious if it matters if I solder in a 1" copper elbow or if I should use a long sweep? (obviously not soldering anything while it is connected to the plastic filter housing)
I assume the long sweep is for abrasion which I am not sure is an issue? I really do not really know what I am talking about.
Curious if it matters or not as to what I use for an elbow? I am not using PEX this is more of a question as to right angle copper fitting or long sweep.
Does this matter for overall performance in a small house fresh water supply line near the main 1" line. Does this really cut down on abrasion and help the pressure or flow? I feel like I rarely see long sweeps when seeing plumbers redirect copper lines?
I suppose when in doubt use a sweep? Right? Thoughts?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Equivalent tube lenght standard 90° 2.5' long radius 1'
LR is over is 2.5 times the price of a standard 90°
Unless there is a long run no need to look at total lenght of line with fitting then look at pressure drop and gpm. Velocity of the water would also be considered for abrasion. Stardard house wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You may not find long sweep copper elbows. They are generally for refrigerant lines. In a home, abrasion is nearly non existent.

Reaction score
OK, I did not really follow all that but I won't buy one if it is no big deal. All good just asking.
Also it is more expensive, however I was only buying one, so I figured if I pay $2.50 or pony up and add another 4$ to the price to get something out of it great, easy. It is not being bought in large scale so if overall if it is helpful I would consider buying and not cheeping out on a saving of 4$. But if it is a waste of money and there is not advantage than I won't buy it. Thanks for your help.
I was not clear on what it is for or if it was helpful to use as I turn the corner here.
I will stick to a standard 90 1" elbow for $2.50 plus or minus.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
HOME DEPOT

1/2 in. Copper C x C Long Radius 90-Degree Elbow Fitting with 2-Solder Cups (5-Pack)

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does this matter for overall performance in a small house fresh water supply line near the main 1" line. Does this really cut down on abrasion and help the pressure or flow?
Still no.

If this were a multi family / high rise then we can start calculating friction loss and turbulence and minutia... one fitting out of a filter housing / flow restrictor will make Zero discernable difference the the flow or functionality of the water system.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Still no.

If this were a multi family / high rise then we can start calculating friction loss and turbulence and minutia... one fitting out of a filter housing / flow restrictor will make Zero discernable difference the the flow or functionality of the water system.
We only use long radius ells same reasoning is why we refrain from using street ells . One family or multifamily it is just good plumbing practices

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
We only use long radius ells same reasoning is why we refrain from using street ells.
What's the downside to a street ell in copper? Assuming you could find a street long radius ell, since you favor long radius ells.

Cheers, Wayne

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
What's the downside to a street ell in copper? Assuming you could find a street long radius ell, since you favor long radius ells.

Cheers, Wayne
I do NOT use street ells Wayne unless space is limited and never on gas. for example I have seen guys using a valves with a street ell rather then using an angle valve. The next guy has a heck of a time if he/she needs to replace the Ell. It just a matter of choices

By the way here is a long radius STREET Ell

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I do NOT use street ells Wayne unless space is limited and never on gas.
OK, just trying to understand why, what the downside is, so I can learn.

For copper, you implied you'd rather use a short pipe segment and a regular LT ell, than use a street LT ell. But the only difference I can see is the length of the straight section between the fittings. Is there a turbulence issue?

For black iron for gas, what's the issue?

Cheers, Wayne

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The recommended maximum velocity for water in a copper tube system is 5 - 8 feet per second (fps) for cold water systems, 4 - 5 fps for hot water systems < 140º F, and 2-3 fps for hot water systems with a temperature greater than 140º F.

Short radius fittings can cause excessive turbulence which can cause erosion

As for gas some inspectors might frown on them because BLK st 90's typically have greatly reduced inside diameters compared to to the ID for pipe of the same size

Fine per NFPA 54 and legal except if the local authority say's no. Older street Ells casting had some problems with sand holes

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
long radius better as is bigger pipe , type k and a host of other things. you just pick ways to improove a system based on budget and benefit.
wasent aware of the much lower allowable fps on hot water thats good to know!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks