1/2 HP increase yield more volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

10fingers

Reaction score
I have a 1/2HP jet pump working at a depth of 33 feet. Max for this application is 25. Simer makes a deep well jet pump 3210C with a 1HP motor. Problem is I can't use the injector option that comes with the pump as the case diameter is 4inches. Will I benefit from just increasing the HP? Horse trough is hooked up to the house supply so it would be nice to have more volume.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
About 24' is the max a pump can suck water with the one pipe shallow well pump, no matter how many HP it has. Need a packer or an ejector that can fit down the well or a submersible as there is almost no limit to how high a pump can push water.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
About 24' is the max a pump can suck water with the one pipe shallow well pump...
It sounds like the OP has the jet down the hole and not on the pump. There is a lot more to a pump than just HP. The jet innards is generally matched to the pump and to the depth.

10fingers

Reaction score
It sounds like the OP has the jet down the hole and not on the pump. There is a lot more to a pump than just HP. The jet innards is generally matched to the pump and to the depth.
Correct the jet pump is sitting above the well. Yes lots more to a system than just HP. Wondering if only adding HP will increase volume. as my options are limited and I can get a brand new Simer for $100. Advertised as a deep well jet pump up to 70 feet if you use all the kit ie., injector. I will look into a packer? and injector sizes. That's a good start. Appreciate the leads.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Your pump's foot valve maybe located 33' below the ground surface within the well casing, but the maximum 24' Valveman stated is the vertical distance from the top of the water up to the pump inlet while located at sea level. When water is pumped from a well, the water level will often drop lower in the casing, so the greater distance to draw water vertically may result in the pump not being able to draw any water until the water level rises again.

If your well's location is above sea level, the maximum vertical distance water can be sucked vertically will be less than 24'.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Correct the jet pump is sitting above the well.
It's not about where the pump sits but rather where the jet is. Is the current pump configured as deep well with the jet down in the well?

I don't know if there are packers that fit a 4 inch casing so you might end up having to put down a 3 inch casing. You might be better off putting down a submersible.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a 1/2HP jet pump working at a depth of 33 feet. Max for this application is 25.
Note
1. The important depth is the depth to water, and not the depth to where the inlet or foot valve is.
2. That 24 ft has a bit of margin. The actual doesn't-work limit will be affected by barometric pressure, altitude (because reported barometric pressure is usually "corrected for altitude"), and the height of the highest part of the suction pump or intake piping.

Having a 36 ft pickup on a shallow well (suction) pump is not a waste, in that it will prevent sucking air if there is a high pressure center at a well in Death Valley. :)

Last edited:

10fingers

Reaction score
It's not about where the pump sits but rather where the jet is. Is the current pump configured as deep well with the jet down in the well?

I don't know if there are packers that fit a 4 inch casing so you might end up having to put down a 3 inch casing. You might be better off putting down a submersible.
I believe the technical name of the well is a pit well. The jet pump sits in the pit. I'm researching these packers now. Never heard of them before. May be a cost effective solution however I would still have the maintenance of the jet pump. https://www.lockewell.com/pdf/goulds/jet_assembly.pdf

10fingers

Reaction score

No jet in use at this time due to the small diameter of the well casing.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Most certainly you are using a jet but since you failed to mention what brand/model of pump you have, it is unknown if it is a convertible that fits a 4 inch casing. It is just a matter of where it is, on the pump or in the casing. Many conventional deep well kits will fit down a 4 inch casing, including the Simer you mentioned. It is not necessary to use a packer.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Further to LLigetfa's comment, the jet will be located within the ejector assembly within the deep well setup shown below in a 4" casing.

pump-products-6-Installation.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
With a 4 inch steel casing, I would consider a submersible 3 inch SQ pump. You will get a lot more volume, and will not have to worry about priming or clogged jet.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a 4 inch Trimline pump inside a 4 inch steel casing. When I got my pit demolished, the pump got pulled, and I opted to put the same pump back. The well guy said there was some difficulty pulling. So if I ever get my pump replaced, I am thinking of a 3-inch SQ, with maybe a 3 inch flow inducer. I would be looking at the 10sq07-200, which has a 3/4 HP motor. I would revisit that before moving on it. The 10sq05-160 would be enough for my current backwashing filter.

I think a Grundfos 10SQ05-110 or 10SQ05-160 (both 1/2 HP) should match without having upthrust, assuming it would be working into pressure.

10fingers

Reaction score
Most certainly you are using a jet but since you failed to mention what brand/model of pump you have, it is unknown if it is a convertible that fits a 4 inch casing. It is just a matter of where it is, on the pump or in the casing. Many conventional deep well kits will fit down a 4 inch casing, including the Simer you mentioned. It is not necessary to use a packer.
OK I need to go back and research the configurations. I was of the opinion the jet sat only down the hole via the 2 pipe system. The Simer 3210C has the jet kit as an option ie add on to use down the hole. If I understand correctly it can be added to the pump itself. Thanks for your time.

10fingers

Reaction score

So the injector can be down in the well as per a 2 pipe system OR on the front of the pump. My Berkley pump does not have the long nose front end hence no injector. I have a no name stand by pump in the well now with a long nose and my water pressure is a lot higher. Without taking apart I surmise its got an injector. So to sum up this thread a pump with an injector is a better solution to increase pressure. However pressure and volume are 2 different things.

Last edited:

10fingers

Reaction score
With a 4 inch steel casing, I would consider a submersible 3 inch SQ pump. You will get a lot more volume, and will not have to worry about priming or clogged jet.
I'm going to look into this idea. Most likely requires a control module. Hopefully they come in 115V. Thnks!

10fingers

Reaction score
This illustrates the various type of jet pump configurations:
index.php
Illustration on the left would have an injector on the pump as I understand. If you take it off and put in down the well that makes it a deep well configuration.

Reach4

Reaction score
No control module needed. My first thought is the Grundfos (Grundfos 10SQ05-160-115V). Runs on 120 volts including one of the quiet Honda generators.

Read up on flow inducers.
index.php

This shows possible materials to make a flow inducer for a Grundfos SQ pump.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks