Search results

1. TheOverThinker

Single Shower Tankless for 3/4" Existing Gas Connection? Small apartment tankless?

Calling my gas company has a similar effect to calling Google, or trying to speak to NBC by yelling at my television.
  2. TheOverThinker

Mixed gas pipe size and BTU/Hour

For sequential pipe, I think it's going to be a limit. If 30' of 3/4 can only supply 199,000 BTUs, no matter what pipe I put after that can't do more. It seems that the smaller pipe would control. Thus it matters if the big pipe is first. I'm assuming single pipe mixed size to the meter...
  3. TheOverThinker

Single Shower Tankless for 3/4" Existing Gas Connection? Small apartment tankless?

The Noritz NR662-OD is 120,000 BTU maximum. That's 5 gallons per minute, 1/2" gas line, and OK up to maybe 20 feet of 1/2" or 40 feet of 3/4" per specs. I'm still seeking a dynamic model that can be tuned to a lower maximum BTU based on examining the flame quality for a given gas pressure.
  4. TheOverThinker

Rheem vs AO Smith Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater HPWH

https://www.eco2waterheater.com/ SANCO₂ Water Heater, Generation 4, imported from Japan. The taller the tank, the better the COP. The refrigerant is sealed, so no greenhouse gas leaks, ever. Expensive, but just due to low volume of sales in the USA. Very common in Japan, where there are a...
  5. TheOverThinker

Mixed gas pipe size and BTU/Hour

Is there an accepted/reliable method of calculating expected gas flow for mixed diameter gas pipe? For example * 40 feet of 1", then 40' of 3/4" * 40 feet of 3/4" then 40' of 1" Would the second be limited only by the first run, e.g. 170,000 BTU/Hour?
  6. TheOverThinker

Water Line/Electrical/Gas in Same Channel

There's so much misinformation on this topic. It's like every installer and inspector remembers something someone told them, and repeats it as gospel time and again. Here are some codes: The bottom of the water pipe, at points, shall be not less than 12 inches (305 mm) above the top of the...
  7. TheOverThinker

Rheem vs AO Smith Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater HPWH

The heat pump water heaters I use have a passive tank, and a separate condenser. If the tank leaks, no problem, just replace it. Just replace the anode rod every 5 years if you're concerned.
  8. TheOverThinker

Repacking an inverted oakum / cast iron 4" joint on a sewer stack?

Is there a flexible epoxy, to account for future shifts in the building. A hard epoxy may crack over time, repeating the cycle. I assume that's why lead was used in the first place, it can accommodate shifts.
  9. TheOverThinker

Not to local code--- has to be metal. Only the joint is bad now, the pipes are all solid.
  10. TheOverThinker

How is such a joint repacked "upside down" so to speak? I thought it involved pouring lead.
  11. TheOverThinker

OP here: This joint has both rust and... on foggy mornings... wet rust. The rust appears limited to the outside of the pipe. The poured lead solution won't work, not unless gravity inversion equipment is included. That's a Y junction with the top of the Y pointed gravity DOWN. The Fernco...
  12. TheOverThinker

How, and who, can still repair old oakum joints that are inverted. Situation is a 4" CI waste stack comes down from the roof above the top floor toilet in an condo. Just above the toilet, it branches downward for the tub. The walls and everything are all finished. mostly with tile. The three...
  13. TheOverThinker

Seeking stainless steel or otherwise rust resistant rooftop TPRV

What would you suggest to replace this, on a solar thermal system, San Francisco area: The old one gave out after 40 years in service, and won't reliably close up after it's activated when the system is past capacity at the tank, and stops circulating.
  14. TheOverThinker

New water heater anode rod removed question.

So hard to tell these days, with firmly held beliefs on all sorts of subjects. The old convention was :-) for sarcasm.
  15. TheOverThinker

The RU130iN is 130,000 BTU. The company tells me they may in the future offer a way to (in software) configure it down to lower numbers, in 10,000 BTU steps.
  16. TheOverThinker

The tankless units have a burner range, perhaps 10,000 to 150,000 BTU. Are there any units that in software can be limited to 100,000 BTU max for example, thus allowing an existing gas line to work at reduced overall heating capacity?
  17. TheOverThinker

New water heater anode rod removed question.

That's misinformation. Not correct in any way shape or form.
  18. TheOverThinker

Anode rod height, how accurate do you need to be?

Does anyone offer a supplemental stubby short anode rod, for cases where the anode can't be removed from the original spot? Such an anode might go int the drain port, with some sort of valve...
  19. TheOverThinker

Anode Rod Aluminum broken in two; can't get rod out of tank!

The piece of material in the bottom of the tank will likely just work as intended. State water heaters for commercial recommends simply chucking a piece of zinc into the bottom of their heaters (the tops are made such that you can't remove the anodes without replumbing the entire heater). I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks