Search results

1. Vdawg

Air handler filter slot difficult to navigate when replacing filter

FWIW, here was my solution: I ultimately ended up cutting down the top half of the top horizontal crossbar on the return/stand to make room for the filter to be slid out from the bottom of the air handler. It was only attached to the rest of the front frame at the corners, and I left those...
  2. Vdawg

Thanks! The entire "base" box is 22.5" wide by 22.5" high by 46" deep. Here are some additional photos/angles... From the front: From the side... You can see the air return is *behind* the unit in a narrow alcove, so I don't think a different location for the air filter is possible in this...
  3. Vdawg

My home has an air handler with a slot at the bottom for the filter: However, the horizontal aluminum frame at the top of the box below it obstructs the filter when being removed or inserted. It *can* be done, but you have to bend the cardboard filter frame pretty badly and really push/pull...
  4. Vdawg

Replacing gas cooktop, need to cap off natural gas shutoff valve

Thanks! I finally disassembled the gas cooktop connection (flex supply) to the gas supply/valve, and it turns out the valve was FIP on the supply side and MIP on the "out" side (not flared). So I ended up getting a standard MIP brass cap and installed it on the valve with thread sealant. I...
  5. Vdawg

No thread sealant on the flare fitting connections, correct?
  6. Vdawg

Thanks for your reply. This valve looks like it might be FIP on both ends and the cooktop (out) side appears to have a MIP-to-flared adapter threaded into it to accept the flex line, but I won't be sure until I disassemble it. If so, is it ok to leave that adapter and put a flared cap on it...
  7. Vdawg

I am replacing my natural gas cooktop with induction. The house is new (2022 construction) and has a 1/2" brass gas shutoff valve under the cooktop. It has an adapter on the out-feed side to connect the flex supply line that goes to the cooktop. I intend to remove the flex line and adapter...
  8. Vdawg

Tub fills faster than open drain can handle?

Thanks. I did remove the stopper and it filled a bit more slowly, but the drain still wasn't able to keep up and the tub (slowly) began to fill; although more slowly than it was filling with the stopper in place but lifted.
  9. Vdawg

Tub fills faster than open drain can handle?

New home prior to closing -- Part of the punch list was that filling the tub with the drain stopper open (the stopper is one of those lift-and-turn types) causes water to back up in the tub. That is, with the tub spigot running fully open and the drain open, the tub doesn't drain as fast as it...
  10. Vdawg

Expansion tank directly above WH cold inlet?

Is it ok to install an expansion tank directly above the cold water inlet on the water heater? That is, add a brass tee to the inlet and screw the tank into the top port of the tee, then bring the cold water line into the horizontal port of the tee. Is that too close (~4 in.) to the heated...
  11. Vdawg

How do softeners keep contaminants from salt tank out of drinking water?

We have a water softener and there's something I've always wondered about them, in general, that came up in a recent discussion. Ours is an AO Smith model and it has a door on top that you can slide back to put salt into it every so often. My previous GE was similar. The salt in the bag from...
  12. Vdawg

How many turns to tighten pipe thread fittings

Putting some FIP Dahl stop valves onto brass MIP threaded adapters (to PEX-A). I notice when I screw the valve onto the fitting it goes on about 3 turns before it gets hand tight without tape or thread sealant (not ready for final assembly -- just testing to see if the threading is good on both...
  13. Vdawg

Expand PEX A twice?

I'm sorry if this has been asked here in the past, but I did look and couldn't find it in a search. I've read you can heat PEX A to remove the sleeve and ultimately release a fitting for reuse. But even if you do this successfully, can that end of the PEX pipe be re-expanded or must it be cut...
  14. Vdawg

Multiple HVAC return air filters

Hi, We are in the process of having a new (production) home built in a subdivision here (central FL). The community has a Facebook page where a discussion started recently among homeowners regarding the use of more than one air return filter in the same system. More specifically, one at the...
  15. Vdawg

Compression angle stop thread type?

Can you pull a compression ferrule from PEX-a? I'm basically going to replace a bunch of angle stops on PEX-a and want my new installation to have the ability to allow for replacement of the stop in the future without having to cut back the PEX any further.
  16. Vdawg

Compression angle stop thread type?

Are the typical big box 1/2 compression angle stops (Brasscraft, Sharkbyte, etc.) NPT on the supply side or is that some type of special thread that only matches a compression nut of the same brand? Basically, can you normally thread one of these into an FIP female adapter if you remove the nut...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks