Search results

1. Chucky_ott

Jet pump vs piston pump

Hi, I have a shallow well with a jet pump at the cottage. It's working well but is always a pain to set up at the start of the season. To prime it, I have to fill the entire suction line (50ft of 1-1/4" poly pipe) with water. If there is air in the suction line for whatever reason, the pump...
  2. Chucky_ott

Fixtures on horizontal branch

This will work, right? My main concern is the vent for the tub and toilet. I think using the 2" wet vent for the lavatory is acceptable ? If not, I can probably put in a 3x3x2" santee anywhere on the 3" pipe and have a dedicated vent. Maximum horizontal run on those bathroom pipes would...
  3. Chucky_ott

Understanding jet pump failure mode

I'm trying to understand the failure mode so that I can prevent it again. The picture shows the discharge port of my jet pump. In the picture, there is a nylon tee and nipple but when it failed, it was a PVC tee and nipple. For some reason, the entire tee assembly popped out of the pump...
  4. Chucky_ott

Shallow well by lake

I am currently getting water from our lake with a jet pump. We only use the water for toilet, bathing, and washing dishes. Other than a 1 micron filter, there is no additional treatment. We use bottled water for drinking. It's worked for us for 30 years. Our lake is shallow and the water...
  5. Chucky_ott

U/V purifier

Hi all, I want to install a U/V purifier at my cottage to make the water safer to ingest. Water source is from a shallow lake. Depending on the solution found, we might use bottled water for drinking but could still use the purified lake water for cooking, washing dishes, etc. We've been...
  6. Chucky_ott

Septic tank pump freeze?

Hi, This summer will be the second one at our new seasonal cottage. Previous owner had a new septic system put in and this year will be the first time any waste water will get into the pump chamber of the tank. It's still empty but the second chamber is almost full. Does a septic tank of a...
  7. Chucky_ott

Cycle sensor to detect burst pipe.

Is a cycle sensor good for shutting down a pump if a supply lines bursts, or is it more for detecting dry well conditions? This would be for a cottage that is occupied only on weekends. I'm trying to find the best (and cheapest) way to shut down my pump if there ever was a high-volume leak...
  8. Chucky_ott

Vent for toilet required?

Hi, Do I need a vent close to the toilet if the 3" drain is horizontal (1/4:12 slope) for 30 feet until it reaches the septic tank ? If necessary, I can put the vent at the end of the 30' run, before it hits the septic tank. I have no access to the attic in that part of the cottage so...
  9. Chucky_ott

Point of use water heater recommendations

Hi, I'm considering getting an electric point-of-use water heater for my seasonal cottage (used on weekends between late spring and early fall). It would supply only the kitchen sink and bathroom sink, which are adjacent to each other. These are the only hot water fixtures in the cottage at...
  10. Chucky_ott

Leaking valve stem

The supply valve for my washer leaks around the screw when opened. It is inside a plastic enclosure so is a bit tight to access. Is there anything that can be applied to the screw to stop the leak? I'd prefer to not have to take the valve apart. Thanks
  11. Chucky_ott

Pump not holding pressure

I installed my new pump this afternoon. There is a foot valve about 100ft from the pump intake. The discharge is currently only connected to a 1" hose with a shutoff valve at the end. It is not connected to the pressure tank yet. As you can see from the video, the system can't maintain the...
  12. Chucky_ott

Pipe diameter for 175ft run

Hi, I want to supply water to a shack that is 175ft from my 1/2hp pump. Pump is attached to a pressure tank with max pressure at 60psi. Shack has toilet and sink which are both currently supplied by a gravity-feed system. There is a low-pressure valve on the toilet. It fills slowly but it...
  13. Chucky_ott

Filter sock

Hi, What's the best way to filter out sediment from a lake intake ? Filter sock at the foot valve or something else ? If filter sock, what would be the minimum mesh size that will prevent clogging up ? 100 micron ? I can get a 100-micron ANKA filter sock at our local Lowes/HD. Or perhaps a...
  14. Chucky_ott

Toilet that gets little use

As mentioned in the pumps forum, I just purchased a cottage. I will be installing a toilet in the bathroom this summer. It's a bungalow and toilet will be about 30ft away from the septic tank. Other than the toilet and a sink in the bathroom and kitchen, there are no other water sources that...
  15. Chucky_ott

Fittings for jet pump

Hi, I just bought a cottage and will likely have to start dealing with issues I would probably not have to deal with normally. Cottage is three-season only and the water supply will come from the lake for a toilet, sink, and eventually shower. I just purchased a 1/2 hp jet pump (Pompco...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks