Search results

1. IPDQKWID

Compression fittings need to stop leaking

I have been installing all the shut-off valves on an addition project. I'm using quarter turn angles or straights, 5/8OD inlet and 3/8OD outlet like the one pictured here. The install went fine on the cold water side, but now I am installing the hot side and I'm 3-for-3 on leaks. It's been a...
  2. IPDQKWID

I have a really quick question, can't find the answer anywhere.

2" PVC repair coupling (the kind without the hub, and not the slide extend-a-thing): The two ends of the PVC pipes will almost touch, do I prime and glue both pipes, then slide the repair coupling down on the joint, with a twisting, jerking motion (sorry, that's an old Chris Farley line)? Thank you
  3. IPDQKWID

Cutting cast iron - is it difficult?

In order to get a pressure test done on an addition (two bath, laundry), I need to seal the drain piping, and this location seems to be the least disruptive. How difficult is it to cut cast iron? Would a rented soil pipe cutter be up to the job? Should I buy one? I intend to replace this cast...
  4. IPDQKWID

San-tee in horizontal position (on side)

Hi, I am plumbing an addition with a laundry room, and am putting in a vent loop like I have seen depicted here many times. I've heard and read how sanitary tees shouldn't receive flow from above. But how about from the side? The image here has the standpipe to the left, and to the right in...
  5. IPDQKWID

Question on adequate toilet venting

I am wondering if a 1.5" vent is adequate for a single water closet. The vent is in the wall immediately behind the water closet, goes vertical into the upstairs story and turns above the ceiling to tie in with a 2" vent before traveling over to the 3" stack. I know the code says 1/2 the size...
  6. IPDQKWID

Is this pipe glued correctly?

I'm hoping I can get some opinion of whether this pipe/fitting looks correct. After gluing the joint I noticed it seemed like the end of the pipe is out from the hub bottom (like moving towards the middle of the fitting). I put an arrow where I think it seems like it sticks out too much. I...
  7. IPDQKWID

Long-sweep elbow usage

Should long-sweep elbows always be used when draining (bathroom lav in this case) from vertical to horizontal? It's coming from upstairs addition lav to the joist space in the ground-level and over to another vertical drain in downstairs wall. And another question, which will either sound like...
  8. IPDQKWID

Shower Drain Connection

In a pickle, I probably know the answer to this, and am hoping someone knowledgeable has the magic answer. I'm in the process of moving the floor drain for a shower, due to plan changes (longer story). The first image shows the drain/trap connecting into a vent wye (not sure on the correct...
  9. IPDQKWID

How much damage to PEX is too much?

I have run a single PEX tube about 25 feet from the manifold to an upstairs shower, going through floor trusses, over a hill, through some woods, and along the way drug (dragged?) against the metal hasps (or whatever they are) on trusses, bolts from metal connectors, and every other piece of...
  10. IPDQKWID

Need some help with water flow physics and all that

I am building in a shower as part of a remodel. Supply lines are PEX. Does a shower valve exist where the supply hooks up below, like straight shots upward to the valve, rather than coming in from the sides, hot and cold? I am coming up through the floor below, and am wondering how much...
  11. IPDQKWID

Washing Machine Valves

I've read quite a few threads here about upgrading washing machine supply lines, and whether using PEX means that a bump-up in diameter is needed. I am going to be running PEX into my addition, and was thinking about leaving the 3/4" supply all the way to the laundry room. When looking at...
  12. IPDQKWID

Bradford White PowerVent piping question

I have a Bradford White M1TW something 40gal Nat Gas Power Vent water heater. It was installed 4-5 years ago after a bad sewer back-up mucked up the burner? on the old one. It has run fine and stuff, but the other day while outside near where the vent comes out, I noticed the pipe was tweaked...
  13. IPDQKWID

Uniform Plumbing Code and Stack Termination

906.2 Clearance Each vent shall terminate not less than 10 feet from, or not less than 3 feet above, an openable window, door, opening, air intake, or vent shaft ... None of these things occur on a normal house roof. The main items protruding from a single-family residence roof are usually...
  14. IPDQKWID

Uniform Plumbing Code and AAVs

Help. Having looked over the plumbing codes for Minnesota, I think they follow the UPC. The code is published in chapters, with sections such as 310, 702, 910, etc. Where in the world do I find references to AAVs? I don't want to ask the inspector yet, as I don't trust him. He has something...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks