Search results

1. DesertEaglePt50

Resin Tank / Media Tank Recommendations

I am looking into replacing a resin/media tank. I read through numerous threads on this site. I will summarize what I found below, but I am still unsure as to whether any tank that fits these criteria is fine. My findings from this site: (1) Don't buy a valve/tank combo from an online retailer...
  2. DesertEaglePt50

How to measure LSI?

I got the hardness test and alkalinity test from Hach. They are both quick and straightforward. You just need to make sure you mix thoroughly when you start to see the color change, because when you get close to the right number of drops you will see the color change at first but it will...
  3. DesertEaglePt50

Is my acid neutralizer faulty or just inadequate?

I have ways been impressed and grateful for the amount of help available on this forum, so let me try to ask for help in a different and hopefully better way. Is there a way to test the control valve of an acid neutralizer for leakage of untreated water into service? If not, I imagine that a...
  4. DesertEaglePt50

If the neutralizer is working properly I can run fresh tubing that is not kinked and that should help increase the backwash flow rate. It would be better to run a larger diameter tubing that meets the valve spec but that will require removal of the fitting installed into the backwash port. It...
  5. DesertEaglePt50

I am wondering if my acid neutralizer performance is as expected for my setup or whether something might be amiss. I just did a complete dump and refill of the neutralizer. I have not taken pH readings previously. pH Testing: My untreated water has a pH of approximately 6.0. I have obtained a...
  6. DesertEaglePt50

Testing of Acid Neutralizer Effectiveness

I want to make sure I understand what you are saying. The difference between hardness being inputted into the LSI as Ca 2+ and CaCO3 is just a variation in the molecular weight, the mg/l difference being attributed solely to the weight of the CO3. Is that correct? As far as Mg hardness is...
  7. DesertEaglePt50

To supplement the knowledge shared by members here, I looked into alkalinity testing. Essentially the test is adding an acid of known concentration drop-wise to a volume of water until the pH reaches 4.3. At this pH, all the carbonate and bicarbonate has been converted into carbonic acid. The...
  8. DesertEaglePt50

So let's say I get a tds meter. I would still need alkalinity, which is expressed as CaCO3 only, and Calcium, which is expressed as Ca2+ or CaCO3. How can they both be expressed as CaCO3 but not be the same? If I wait a day or two to test the same water sample that is left on a counter in a...
  9. DesertEaglePt50

The calcitite tank does not have a port. The house has had a calcite neutralizer for as long as I know, and there was never a problem with pipe corrosion except when the neutralizer was not serviced in 2+ years. The pH of untreated water is 6.1, so theoretically within the capability of a...
  10. DesertEaglePt50

So the acid neutralizer in question does backwash. I believe the backwash effectively expands the media, because when I go to refill it, the the riser tube lifts up with the valve and I have to dump out the remaining media. The neutralizer tank is painted, unfortunately. Even with a fresh bed...
  11. DesertEaglePt50

Hi, thanks for reading. I have read many threads about acid neutralizers on this site. I apologize if this question was already addressed, it might just be a gap in my understanding. My interest in this topic isn't hypothetical, but it was simpler to pose the question that way. Let's say I just...
  12. DesertEaglePt50

Terry Love- cancer update

I came upon this site in 2016 when I had a well leak. I couldn't get anyone to come and just replace the plumbing inside the well without installing a submersible pump, which I didn't want. I re-plumbed the well myself, solely because of this site. I was so nervous about dropping something...
  13. DesertEaglePt50

Wondering about my well seal

I am currently in the process of removing the well seal now that the weather has warmed up. I used a cold chisel to break up the rust between the bolt heads at the well seal. Then I loosened all four bolts with an impact wrench. Two of them loosened on the first try. I dropped down a socket size...
  14. DesertEaglePt50

Goulds Jet Pump Autopsy

I recently removed a Goulds J5 jet pump from service based on the following symptoms: 1) The needle on the pressure gauge T'ed into the suction line was bouncing wildly while pumping. 2) The pump struggled to create 30 psi of pressure. 3) The noise during pumping was ominous. It sounded like the...
  15. DesertEaglePt50

Foot valve, stock re-plumb, or modified re-plumb

I am suspicious, but I thought it was relevant information. I asked craigpump a follow-up about the tailpipe, but you beat me to it :)
  16. DesertEaglePt50

AHJ uses 2009 IRC, which requires 160 psi rating for water service pipe or tubing underground or outside of the structure (2905.4). I will use 160 psi rather than 200 psi and brass connectors in light of your recommendation. I will use a tailpipe to protect the foot valve. The well has never...
  17. DesertEaglePt50

No idea. I am trying to track down the info. But I know the specs of the pump and the gpm at a faucet, so the depth of the jet can be estimated at 25-60 feet. That assumes a submergence of 5 ft, which I believe means the jet is that far under the static water level.
  18. DesertEaglePt50

Valid point. Say hello to my other thread...https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/foot-valve-stock-re-plumb-or-modified-re-plumb.63982/ I took the pictures I posted as an update when I replaced the cracked elbow. It was nylon. I replaced with it with pvc. Had I known, I would have...
  19. DesertEaglePt50

I have some issues with the well system. I would like advice on how to proceed. I installed a new goulds j5 double drop convertible pump less than a week ago to replace the same, 21 year old pump. At that time, conversion to a submersible pump was considered but not selected. Not everyone will...
  20. DesertEaglePt50

Let's say I am able to separate the seal and the casing. If I remove the elbows, then the seal can be lifted off and a new one pushed down, and the assembly lowered back onto the casing and tightened, yes? Obviously, another set of hands will be required, and I would like a backup means to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks