Search results

1. Nathaniel Hieter

Oil to Gas (Radiant Heat System)

Dana, lots to read.... still digesting. I'm definitely looking at high-performance walls. I'm sure I'll have some follow-up questions and I read more...
  2. Nathaniel Hieter

Dana, I'm not sure if you are still following this thread. On the off chance, I will post.... Sadly, this project took an.... unexpected.... detour. Before I elaborate, let me first say "Thank you"! I implemented several of your suggestions and the benefits were immediately apparent...
  3. Nathaniel Hieter

Thanks, Dana. You have motivated me to look harder for the borate-only material in my area.
  4. Nathaniel Hieter

Hmmm. The price of rolls of unfaced R30 seems competitive with the "friendly" version of cellulose. I would still air-seal the attic, but instead of removing the old two layers of R13, I would just run the R30 perpendicularly on top of the roof deck. I suppose I should still put in the...
  5. Nathaniel Hieter

Dana, I have a confession to make: When you posted those prices for cellulose, well...... I thought you were exaggerating! I've lived in this house 17yrs and only had to go into the attic on four separate occasions. The only thing up there is the air-handler for my A/C. For $260 I get 20 bags...
  6. Nathaniel Hieter

Wow, that is some detailed documentation. UFT-80 would probably be within my abilities..... with the right friend on speed-dial. I'm pretty sure I could dial back the temperature right now. As it is, at 140 I'm having some serious over-spike during the day. If I beef up the insulation in the...
  7. Nathaniel Hieter

BTW: On Thursday I'm headed over to CT to see "Wally" to get my polyiso fix.....
  8. Nathaniel Hieter

I think I can safely say that I will have some percentage of my future heating needs delivered through the heat pumps that replace my ancient A/C unit. Using a chiller like this one for the extra heating capacity (and cushy floor comfort) would be really interesting. If the mini-splits...
  9. Nathaniel Hieter

Thanks for the tip on the reclaimed foam! It would seem a very cost effective solution for adding significant R-value to the bedroom floor/walls that are exposed to the garage...... a project I could tackle this winter instead of waiting for next year.
  10. Nathaniel Hieter

I was interested in foaming the attic rafters (and gable ends) because the air-handler of my A/C is in the attic. However.... if I transition to mini-splits this is less of a concern. I have very very little attic space since much of the first floor is "floor-and-a-half" cathedral ceilings...
  11. Nathaniel Hieter

Very interesting reading, particularly the section on modulation. It was also a pleasant surprise to see heating/cooling measured capacity to be ABOVE the manufacturers reported data..... I have spray insulation going into the attic next year (and around/underneath the bedroom over the...
  12. Nathaniel Hieter

Could you help me understand why the air-delivery system of a mini-split is so much more efficient (and better capacity it seems) than the heat pumps that deliver through hydronic systems? The same friend that I worked with on the solar also does geothermal....... but the shale on this mountain...
  13. Nathaniel Hieter

Those are the very same Fujitsu mini-split units my plumber friend is putting in his house this week and lives just slightly northeast of me.... I'll admit I thought he was living on the bleeding edge but this is the third time I've seen those units referenced in the past month. A few other...
  14. Nathaniel Hieter

Forgot to mention: No "K-Factor" information on my oil bills.
  15. Nathaniel Hieter

Forgive my poor description in my first post: I did want to imply a primary/secondary loop in the #3 setup. Bah..... Just re-read what I wrote there. I would have been better off taking a picture of my drawings. The primary/secondary loop drives the buffer tank to give stable temps to my...
  16. Nathaniel Hieter

Dana, Thanks for the detailed response. ZIP: 12514 Using loadcalc dot net: 36k @ 0F 41k @ -10F Unfortunately, my oil usage is hard to calculate: Too many changing variables in the last seven years and I don't have records before that. I have used a wood stove in a wide range from primary...
  17. Nathaniel Hieter

Moderators: My apologies if I chose the wrong forum. I wasn't quite sure where this one fit. ---------------------------------- For the past fourteen years my radiant heat system, fired by oil heat, has served me well. Unfortunately, despite wonderfully low oil prices, I find myself under...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks