Search results

1. regrebleo

Flame sight glass causing failure on UFT-80W?

2 years ago, largely based on the excellent information and individuals on this forum I upgraded our old oversized cast iron boiler to a Westinghouse WBRUNG080W (which is the same as the HTP UFT-80w). I did most the prep work and plumbing myself but then got a professional to come by on...
  2. regrebleo

Over sizing a HTP UFT boiler in anticipation of basement remodel?

It is interesting to hear that the UFT boiler can be derated up to 50%. I am a little confused as to what advantage that offers however. Doesn't a mod con constantly derate itself to match the load? If I went with the 100k wouldn't it just never reach high fire rate since it would not need to...
  3. regrebleo

NY_Rob, thanks for your quick response. I should have clarified that my heating is cast iron radiators all on one zone. Cheers.
  4. regrebleo

I am interested in replacing my aging boiler with one of the HTP UFT boilers. Based on two years of heating data run through Dana's formulas I have calculated a load of about 45k. I sanity checked this with a heat loss which came in at around 50k. Adding the ASHRAE 1.4x multiplier it gets me up...
  5. regrebleo

Boiler Size Calculation based on therms, HDD and 99%

Thank you very much for all of the replies, I greatly appreciate all of your perspectives. Badger, thanks for the clarification about the DHW needs; Dana, thanks for confirming my previous calculation was correct and pointing out my math for the porch was too simplistic; and Tom, thanks for...
  6. regrebleo

Boiler Size Calculation based on therms, HDD and 99%

Hello, my family and I recently bought a 1800 sq. ft. house in Minneapolis that was built in 1900. The house is currently heated by a Weil Mclain HE-6 cast iron gas boiler but it has not been well maintained and needs replacing. The plan is to replace it with a mod-con boiler with an indirect...