Search results

1. tracyballard

Recommendation for 50 gallon gas water heater - Rheem, AO smith or Reliance?

Our Rheem 50 gallon water heater is leaking from the bottom and I'm about to replace it. The options are another Rheem from Home Depot, an AO Smtih branded model from Lowe's or a Reliance "self-cleaning" unit (also AO smith I think) from Pride Home center. Any recommendations on those? Should I...
  2. tracyballard

Adding a new layer of pickets on top of old pickets on wood fence?

I've got a wooden privacy fence that's going to need some work soon. It has galvanized steel posts set in concrete, which are totally in great shape. The problem is with the wood itself, the fence is old enough that some of the wood is rotting, and warping a little and a lot of the old nails are...
  3. tracyballard

5 year old Water heater not staying lit

Upon further examination, the TRD is tripped (thermal fuse). I also noticed when I first started working on it that there was a lot of dust on the inlet vents. I cleaned those at first but today I was trying to blow off the inner filter with my air compressor when I noticed the tripped TRD...
  4. tracyballard

I pulled the burner assembly out and it had a lot of white corrosion on it. I tried to brush it off some, then blow it off with an air compressor to clean it up a little, and I also tried to clean up the thermocouple tip with some fine sandpaper. When I reinstalled it (with fresh gasket and...
  5. tracyballard

Hello - I've got a Rheem XG50T06EC38U0 50 gallon water heater that I installed about 5 years ago that won't stay lit. A couple of days ago I relit the pilot light and it stayed lit for about 24 hours. Then when I tried to light it again it burned for about 20 seconds then went out and wouldn't...
  6. tracyballard

Does plumber have to report non-code homeowner mods?

Hello folks! I've been saving my money to try to get my plumbing finally fixed, which has been a problem for several years now, and I want to have a good plumber come out and do a camera-inspection, and maybe hydro jetting for now, and eventually I guess I'm probably going to have to fix or...
  7. tracyballard

Does squirrel cage need to be centered side to side in air handler?

I installed it as it was since the fan was spinning freely with no interference, and also installed a new flame sensor instead of cleaning the old one yet again. I also cleaned the squirrel cage real good because it was covered in compacted dust - including cleaning with wire brush, air...
  8. tracyballard

So the fan doesn't have to be tighted up against the motor as far as it will go?
  9. tracyballard

I'm currently replacing the blower motor on my old Carrier upflow gas furnace, and the new motor is not the exact same height as the old one. When I have it mounted as far inward as it can go without the clamp band hitting the wires, the wheel spins freely without hitting the side of the air...
  10. tracyballard

Replace a Carrier upflow furnace with Goodman unit?

I'm trying to fix my old carrier GB1AAV042075AAJA upflow furnace, but not having a lot of luck. It was humming and not starting, so I replaced the capacitor. It starts up now, but only burns for a few minutes. I've cleaned the flame sensor many times over the years, maybe too many, so I ordered...
  11. tracyballard

Should I get rid of unused central AC equip when replacing furnace?

It looks like I'm about to have to replace our forced air updraft furnace pretty soon (installed in central utility closet, slab floor single level home). This house had a central AC system when we moved in, and it is part of the furnace, the AC coil sits right over the furnace, but the AC...
  12. tracyballard

Does pure lye / sodium hydroxide work as well as Thrift?

Just curious if the lye products at walmart that are 100% lye would work as well as the Thrift that I get at the plumbing supply store, or is there another ingredient in thrift that makes it work so good? that plumbing store is only open 8-5 M-F and it's kind of expensive. No place else sells...
  13. tracyballard

Need advice on drain camera and snake purchase

Hello folks! Now that I mostly fixed my horrible electrical problems with some new outlets, including GFCI outlets at the first outlets in line on the trouble areas, I'm ready to tackle my plumbing issues. I'm considering buying a drain camera and a power rooter to try to fix these problems now...
  14. tracyballard

Installing GFCI outlets - wiring the right terminals

there is an electrician on youtube showing how to connect multiple GFCI's on the same circuit, and he is putting both black and both white wires on one terminal, the line terminal he calls it (using the back holes to plug the wires into), so you seem to be confirming that is what I need to do...
  15. tracyballard

But if the outlet I'm replacing already has wires to both sets of terminals, do I need to wire both and figure out which wires are going downstream?
  16. tracyballard

I'm about to be installing a bunch of Leviton GFCI commercial grade 15 amp duplex outlets to replace the old ungrounded 3 prong outlets that someone put in previously, but I had a couple of questions. One question is about the terminals and which wires go to which terminals - on the back it has...
  17. tracyballard

Fixing a wall outlet that's burnt out.

I checked out the kitchen receptacles, none of them have ground wires, even though they are 3-prong, except for the one up high on the wall that the stove hood is plugged into, that one had a solid copper bare wire connected to the ground terminal on the outlet. One of the old plugs is...
  18. tracyballard

Well I got a klein tools outlet tester and non-contact voltage tester to test my outlets, and most of then are showing an open ground. I could only find 2 outlets in 2 different rooms that did show to be correctly grounded. And one of the outlets only has one good receptacle, the other had 2...
  19. tracyballard

One of my problems is that I have a couple of wall outlets that not only no longer work, they are blackened and look really burnt in one of the two sockets on each one. I'm planning on checking them with a tester this weekend to see if they still have electricity flowing in them and go from...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks