Search results

1. J Blow

Washing machine drain backed up .. Stumped

Installed a washing machine in as pretty typical fashion 10 years ago and had no problems until yesterday when it stopped draining. Pulled the machine out and it's clearly the drain as the line to machine is clear and water is standing to the top of the pipe where the drain hose enters. I can...
  2. J Blow

Pressure Tank / Toilet issue

My knowledge of pressure tanks is very limited so what I think is happening (and using the right terms is another issue) may be just a generally uninformed senseless thought....but I'm guessing others can give me an idea of this is possible and what the fix is, if not. So, have a standard...
  3. J Blow

Lowering P trap for tub drain clearance...?

I'm replacing an old standard tub with a 2 piece freestanding tub so purchased a Maax F2 drain system where you install a receptacle type piece in the floor where you can leave a tailpipe like piece on the tub and just drop it into the drain. My problem is that this unit, where it connects to...
  4. J Blow

Sch 40 between brass shower fitting and copper?

I am remodeling my bathroom and have put in a new shower mixer valve. The old one had a female fitting that the exit pipe to the shower head screwed into. The new one has a male fitting so it's male to male now. Am I ok to use a 1/2 x 1/2 sch 40 plastic pressure coupling to connect the two...
  5. J Blow

Moving Sink Trap Angle....options?

This is a pretty common question and the fact that I've read many of them and don't see the option I'm hoping for makes me think it isn't one...but here it goes. I moved a double sink vanity about 6-8 inches so now the wall drain location is just far enough away that the J trap won't adjust...
  6. J Blow

Freezing P Trap fix

I have a cabin built on blocks (essentially a mobile home) with a shower/tub that has a p trap right next to an exterior wall in a 'box' below the floor level, obviously. It gets little heat through the tub, although Is insulated well but just the wrong combination of events so when we hit 10-20...
  7. J Blow

Greater time between flushes makes stronger gas smell

We have what's basically a single level tiny house with a a private well and septic system - one bathroom. After sitting for a while (a day or so), a sewer/gas smell is present after flushing the toilet. The smell isn't present until you flush and a second and third flush produce a bit of a...
  8. J Blow

Any LP Gas experts here?

A vacation house we purchased was plumbed to connect a propane grill to a 250 gallon propane tank for the house supply. The tank line to the grill runs about 100 feet and then has a regulator on it just before 2 inline connections - one for a firepit and another for a grill. The grill...
  9. J Blow

Various new Kitchen faucet questions

Greetings, all. I'm installing a kitchen faucet (not my own) that currently has copper connections. I'm a couple hundred miles away but have the attached pictures below. The new faucet isn't fancy and appears to be a cheap, what I would assume standard sized kitchen faucet, with plastic...
  10. J Blow

Kitchen in basement - two circuits

Hi, all. I have read numerous threads and I think I have the answer but I just want to be sure. I'm finishing my basement to include a kitchen area. I had an electrician do the wiring and now after finishing the sheetrock, I'm wiring outlets, switches, etc. The kitchen has two circuits with one...
  11. J Blow

Basement Ceiling - Typical Sound Reduction Steps

Hi again, all. I'm finishing my basement and trying to decide how much I need to do in terms of insulating the ceiling for sound. I'm not a bit concerned about heat loss as the basement is very, very well insulated but I would like to reduce the level of sound transmission between the floors...
  12. J Blow

Adding HVAC register - should be simple...but maybe it isn't.

Seems like the more I read the more conflicting information I get. I think this is simple but just want to run it by someone. My basement was unfinished but had heating/cooling registers roughed in for the basement - in 3 spots. It should work perfectly fine as those 3 spots are 2 bedrooms and...
  13. J Blow

Basic 12/2 20 amp Questions - Just making sure

I'm working on a basement build - specifically a bedroom/closet right now. I'm using 12/2 wire with a 20 amp breaker and thinking I can do this all on one circuit. I'll end up with 8 outlets and 2 lights total. My plan is to come from the box with a single wire and run through 7 outlets and...
  14. J Blow

Proper fitting to connect to main...Fernco?

I'm ready to tap into my 3" main in my basement but I can't move it at all. Knowing this, I don't see how I cut a section out long enough to slip the fitting in but short enough to be able to catch the flange and glue it in....don't think that is possible. That's lead me to think I need one of...
  15. J Blow

Anyone see anything obviously wrong....and vent size question!

Here's a layout I'm planning on using for a bar sink in a basement remodel. As you can see it's a 1.5" sink drain and that dumps directly into the main stack that first runs through a 2 x 2 x 1.5 fitting and then a medium 90 (I think). Or does the 90 need to be a long sweep? Now the vent...
  16. J Blow

Dual Sink plumbing in....couple questions, though

Here's what I have going on right now...does anything see something obviously wrong? One question I do have is the long sweep quarter turn going around the corner. It feels like it's a different material and slides in and out of the pipe easily before glued....it's the longest one in the...
  17. J Blow

GFCI in bathroom - couple questions on what I could be missing.

I plan on one circuit in my bathroom and I don't think the load will be too great but want to be sure I'm not doing something incorrect. First, do I need to abide by the 6 foot on the wall rule? I'd like to have just a single outlet so thought the bathroom might be different from other areas...
  18. J Blow

Can I do this since it seems I'm already not up to code anyway?

So, I currently have a 1.5" drain below concrete level that was clearly meant to be for a tub. It's in a wooden box all ready to go - except that I'd really like a shower there instead of a tub. It has a vent pipe a few inches away. Across the way is a 2" drain that's placed for a lav and is...
  19. J Blow

Sink / Wall positioning so I don't need to reroute plumbing under concrete

My stub outs are in concrete and I'm ready to start thinking about plumbing and vanity placement. As it sits now, the lav drain is coming straight out of the floor 2 feet from one exterior wall. It sits 7 feet from the other exterior wall meaning it's built to frame a 7 foot bathroom using...
  20. J Blow

Going to tile but first need floor insulated - best product

In finishing a 1300 sq ft basement I decided to insulate the concrete floor with 1" EPS and then a layer of 5/8" OSB on top. Almost everywhere will have carpet or laminate so OSB seems ok there. The bathroom will be tiled - floor and walls. I'd like the floor to be insulated in the bathroom...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks