Search results

1. Prashster

Pressure Reducing Valve Sweating?

I have a PRV just inside the main water shutoff of my house. I do not have an expansion tank. Recently, the PRV has started 'sweating' and driping. I took it apart and cleaned the gaskets, thinking it was that. But it's actually oozing out of the brass itself. How can this happen...
  2. Prashster

1/2" copper pipe swelling

After cutting out a leaking section of 1/2" copper pipe in my bro-in-law's laundry room, we discovered one of the mating sections is no longer 1/2". The stub going into the floor has swollen so it won't fit into any adapters. I believe it has swollen because my b-in-law confirms that water...
  3. Prashster

Poor irrigation pressure

A friend of mine has very poor pressure for his residential irrigation system. He's on public water. The county refuses to raise the pressure to the house. He's using a pump and auxiliary tank to boost pressure to the system. The pump's in his basement and is loud despite various attempts...
  4. Prashster

Sanitary napkins and ejector pumps

The host husband and wife of a party I attended yesterday almost had a blowout fight over whether their newly installed basement bathroom can handle women's sanitary napkins. They have a septic system and they only use septic-safe napkins. The wife's friends all tell her you shouldn't do it...
  5. Prashster

Eradicating Fescue

My lawn is infested with tall fescue. How can I eradicate it short of using a nonselective herbicide. The problem area is prominently in my front yard, so I'm leery of killing everything and starting over. Is there a selective? Anyone use "Certainty"? Anyway, any help appreciated...
  6. Prashster

Walk out basement drain

I'm building a walk out entrance for my basement. I won't be installing a Bilco-style cap door on top; the stairs leading up to the back yard will be uncovered. My contractor wants to put a drain grate at the bottom that leads to a dry-well about 30 feet away from the house. The stairwell...
  7. Prashster

Automatic water shutoff valves

I'm looking at installing either Watercop or Floodstop as an automatic shutoff valve for my house's water supply (to minimize wheater/sump/sewage pump leaks). The Floodstop system is not wireless like Watercop, but it's under $200 for a complete system vs. $400 for Watercop. Any...
  8. Prashster

faucet recommendation for salt water

Any recommendations for a good brand of shower head (and valve) that is particularly resistant to corrosion and salt in water? My boss has extremely hard water and needs to find a head that'll last longer than his Price Pfister. shawn.
  9. Prashster

CPVC expansion

I've chosen to do the plumbing to a bar sink with 1/2" CPVC. Is there some expansion /contraction issue I should be aware of when running and strapping the lines? -
  10. Prashster

Studor Vent for Bar Sink

I'm putting in a bar sink in a location where I can't run a vent to the roof. Thinking to use an AAV. Any comments on Studor vs Oatey? Any others out there more reputable? Also, is it ok to seal the vent behind a wall or do I have to provide access via a panel?
  11. Prashster

Disabling individual sprinkler heads

Is it possible to shut off an individual sprinkler head without digging/removing the head and capping off the tee? I'm using Rainbird5000 heads. Is there a 'blank' I can screw into the body or is there a special 0GPM nozzle or something???? Thanks, Shawn
  12. Prashster

Water Powered Sump Pumps

Heavy rains making me consider a backup sump pump here in NJ. The waterpowered systems (Zoeller Homeguard, etc) are very tempting. They waste about as much water as they pump, but they're cheaper and smaller than their electric counterparts, AND yr safe if the elec goes out. What am I...
  13. Prashster

Odd PVC cementing question

Is there any product that will glue a pvc coupling to a wooden rod inserted into it? The coupling/rod won't be under any much physical torque or stress, so it doesn't have to be SUPER strong...
  14. Prashster

Laminate Flooring on Enclosed Deck

My uncle has a sunroom that is basically an enclosed deck. The floor is slatted deck boards, open to, and elevated from, the ground. He wants to put a finished floor on there. What are the best options? I suggested a polyethylene barrier over the deck, followed by rigid insulation, then...
  15. Prashster

Basement rough plumb - what's this?

A guy on JB's forum had this pic of his basement bath rough in. Anyone know what the yellow arrow's pointing to?
  16. Prashster

Recirculating ac condensate?

My air conditioners generate a lot of water during the summer months. I'd bet it's a few gallons a day. I'm looking for innovative and automatic ways to use this: 1) Is there a way to pump this into the water heater? 2) Is there a way to pump to a reservoir outside the house and then...
  17. Prashster

Use of lime on lawn near oak trees

I'm conditioning my soil for a lawn near oaks on my property. Is there any harm in using lime to help establish the lawn? Concerned that it'll adversely affect the health of the oaks.
  18. Prashster

Hot water heater fan working but no hot water

Tenants in my condo are complaining that the hot water heater (gas) doesn't work. The 'red light' is on, so it's getting some power, but the water doesn't heat. Here's the kicker: twice, when tenants have unplugged and replugged the unit, it fixes the problem. Any ideas as to what...
  19. Prashster

Great tool! Tongs of Death

I found this on the web: http://www.for-wild.org/download/tongsoriginal.pdf Basically, this guy puts foam brush pads on the tips of salad tongs. You dip the tongs in concentrated roundup and then touch individual plants. I tried it and it's GREAT for getting rid of weeds among flowers or...
  20. Prashster

Best sump pump?

My uncle is trying to replace a sump pump (residential). I counselled him to get a Zoeller, but can't determine from their website which the best one is. Any recommendations? (please include model number).
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks