Search results

1. Ballvalve

What are the opinions on the best well pump heads? Motors not included.

I see Grundfos, Myers and McDonald with full on stainless steel pump heads including impellers. Grundfos looks best, Myers are quite a bit less, Mcdonald I don't know. Grundfos makes it's own, don't know about Myers an McDonald. Can I buy on price or is their actually any increase over...
  2. Ballvalve

Very odd amp draw at 1.5 hp submersible pump

300 foot well, small use filling cistern. Power in to pumpsaver, 2009 Franklin unit, big box and a 1.5 hp Franklin deluxe control box. CSCR and mechanical relay and reset button. 2007 Off for the winter. Went to start up and pump kicked in and ran 5 seconds, reset blew. Started again and drew...
  3. Ballvalve

Crazy power fluctuations in the house! Weird.

Help. I am a contractor and have done much complicated wiring but I am stumped. Lights flickered in the house [ 20 years old, no previous issues] for a few days then resolved. Now again power is variable on the 2 hot lines. sometimes 120v and others 105 volts, you can see the lights at a low...
  4. Ballvalve

Pump protectors/savers - Best for the least $ ?

I have used Franklin pump savers, but the price has tripled. How about Pentair or any others? The one on the link is an old model and I cannot find the horsepower rating...
  5. Ballvalve

Repairing a QD Franklin control box - or not?

I have several properties using a 1hp Franklin control box. They are all CSCR - capacitor run. QD - not the "Deluxe" box, but the quick disconnect type. So the relays are starting to fail. I have searched all the web and not a single hit on the blue Franklin relay comes up. The part number is...
  6. Ballvalve

Water heater elements blowing out every week...

Well water, Sierra mountains. Clear, odorless and great taste. Problem is water heater elements are blowing out very often - heavy lime or calcium crusted. High watt or low watt density, no matter. TDS - PPM is at 213. Some of this must be the low quality of elements these days, as mine used to...
  7. Ballvalve

Robbed by the well guy/electrician? What to do?

I have been a general engineering contractor for 40 years and have set over 40 pump systems of every sort. Currently maintaining several of my own at rentals. So I go on a road trip to Utah with my kid and my renters call with a water out situation. My wife calls the local "Nice" guy contractor...
  8. Ballvalve

Amperage test in 3 wire 1 HP submersible motor

Can't find a good answer in the AIM manual. While testing a 30 year old pump motor in the well, the Yellow and black motor leads read 9.3 amps draw. The red lead is drawing 1.3 amps. Capacitor run type box. Is that a safe value and what are the limits of amp draw to consider preventative...
  9. Ballvalve

Run capacitor advantages?

Mainly for the well guys, do you always install capacitor RUN [CSCR] control boxes, or do you find the cheaper capacitor start boxes adequate on lower HP motors? Also can I add a run capacitor to a standard start cap only box? Or would I need a different relay. Thanks.
  10. Ballvalve

Quality of Myers/Pentair SS pump heads and motors?

Shopping pumps, submersible 3 wire, 1 HP and this looks like a lot for the money: https://www.rcworst.com/myers-3s102-25-p4-4-submersible-pump-25-gpm-1-0-hp-230v-3-wire-1ph.html Are the Pentair motors as good as Franklin now? That all SS pump head looks nice, so nice for the money I think it...
  11. Ballvalve

Fake pump contractor arrested: Why to DIY!

Pretty unusual for someone to get caught at this. But it goes on all the time even when the pump guy IS licensed. So many people are at the mercy of HVAC, pump and well, and auto mechanics. Good to see some little bit of justice: For The Madera Tribune Marc DeMasters. Beginning in August of...
  12. Ballvalve

What is the best for the least in toilets?

We have a rebate of $200 here for ANY watersense toilet. Anyone know what toilet flushes the best and is under or near $200? Would prefer Toto or Kohler or American Standard.... Thanks Just saw a TOTO Entrada. Looks like MAP over 1000. Good unit or...?
  13. Ballvalve

Clear effluent septic pump dead after 28 years

I live in an extreme canyon with 2 creeks, thus the septic tank pumps uphill @ 50' height to a sand filter on a terrace on a mountainside. The Goulds pump is a WE05hh, at least according to my old blueprints. The engineers spec was for pumping 16 gallons per minute at 26' of head. However, I...
  14. Ballvalve

1.1 GPF American Standard, does it flush well?

@180$ retail, elongated, micro ban bowl. Any opinions? Mapp test scores high. Here it is: https://www.faucetdirect.com/american-standard-288ca-114-h2optimum-elongated-two-piece-toilet-with-siphon-jet-technology/p2893136
  15. Ballvalve

Opinions on American standard 288ca.114 ?

https://www.faucetdirect.com/american-standard-288ca-114-h2optimum-elongated-two-piece-toilet-with-siphon-jet-technology/p2893136 Looks like a good unit, on the gold standard MaP list. Meets the California $200 rebate- Only @ $185 so it's a freebie. Does it actually work well?
  16. Ballvalve

Kohler K-5298 performance?

Local district is giving $200 rebates on 1 gallon toilets. Even for houses on wells - go figure. Anyone know how this rig performs? Any alternate brands in the $280 price area with a high MaP score and 1gpm? Thanks...
  17. Ballvalve

Chinese or Indian submersible pumps

I see the guy in florida selling Shakti and Pearl pumps for the cost of a pair of bad new tires. They claim to be all SS in and out. They offer them with a Franklin motor on them. Have a Graingers pump [Myers] 25 GPM in my hole here for 26 years and it just ran 24/7 for a week during a...
  18. Ballvalve

Repair or replace 1HP multistage booster pump?

I have 3 myers horizontal PB series booster pumps. Got them new and cheap about 15 years ago. Ran dry and cooked the impellers in one. Managed to get the pump head shell off- what fun. The Meyers PDF manual on the PB series does not match mine. There is no hex end cap on the pump body - you...
  19. Ballvalve

Capacitor run control box - worthwhile for 1 -1.5 HP pumps? Cost?

Just wondering... What do you pump guys pay for a Franklin CRC 1 hp QD box? Or just the plain QD box? Which do you use on 1 or 1.5 hp motors? I see the standard control box's 1-1.5 hp [without a contactor - the big one without the quick disconnect] for $90 to $110 delivered. Seems quite low...
  20. Ballvalve

Franklin date codes

Can't seem to find on the web. Any link or easy way to decipher control box and pump codes? I have a cscr 1 hp box, as an example, 2824085015 - date 99H19
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks