Search results

1. Potatoes

Water shutoff valve - replace, relocate, etc?

I got it done today. I removed the old valve and put in a new valve on the horizontal section just after the first 90 degree turn after the water meter. Thanks again!
  2. Potatoes

Agree. That’s how I have been turning off the water to run copper. Haven’t even touched the gate valve.
  3. Potatoes

I like how you are thinking. I didn’t look into the exact parts to get so thanks for that. Ideally I would like to put the valve after the first 90, but at first glance I didn’t see how the new valve would fit inside the space in front of the drywall. Aside from the valve fitting solely in...
  4. Potatoes

4" cast iron hub to large (3") PVC

I was given the same advice here for an issue I had with connecting a cast iron hub to pvc. Skip the big box stores and call Fernco directly. They will tell you what products are available including the data sheets with dimensions that you could reference to make sure the product will work...
  5. Potatoes

Hi all. I am getting ready to drywall the laundry room next week. The water main enters the house through the slab as pictured. Several years ago, the old gate valve was replaced prior the water company upgrading the water meter. That valve was replaced by a professional plumber. There is...
  6. Potatoes

Cast iron to 2" PVC leak - How to repair?

I dropped the warm water line into the hub and ran it. Didn’t encounter any issues.
  7. Potatoes

Thanks for the replies. I ended up renting a drain cleaner. Used a grease tip and went in maybe 15' or so. I exercised caution and used gloves. It was very easy. I have a larger 2" Fernco compression donut (P22UX-205) coming from SupplyHouse tomorrow. The ID of my cast hub is 3.178"...
  8. Potatoes

Thanks, but unfortunately hiring quality professionals are very hard for home owners. I had a plumber a little under a year unclog a section of pipe about 3 feet away with his power drain cleaner. Clearly he didn't even get to this section.
  9. Potatoes

So I took the PVC out of the hub today. It came out very easy. It was packed with some soft material all around the PVC. Nothing hard at all. Once I took it out, I scraped the sides of the hub. It revealed a recess right below the lip of the hub. There was also something stuck in the...
  10. Potatoes

Thanks guys. Appreciate the information. I will try to get some of the donuts to use. I took another look at the cast iron last night and I couldn’t see any numbering on it. Might be in back or hard to see with some of the corrosion on the surface. I did put a tape measure across the area...
  11. Potatoes

Is there a way for me to determine what size donut I need? I would like to have that onsite before I disassemble it. Thanks.
  12. Potatoes

Hello. We have a 1st floor laundry room wall open. We took down some thin wood paneling which exposed some cracked and poorly surfaced drywall. We have some friends who do drywall for a living so it is easier for them to hang new sheets as opposed to sanding and patching what was there...
  13. Potatoes

Kitchen sink venting?

Thanks. I am not sure what code unincorporated Lombard Illinois falls under. Here is the picture of the plumbing in the kitchen.
  14. Potatoes

Washing machine box install - How to deal with vent obstruction

Thanks Wayne. If I raise the vent, I assume I would need to make a new run to the main stack. This would require some cutting into framing, tapping into the existing stack (above the current vent tee) and also disconnect and close the existing one. Not sure what the code is for tying into...
  15. Potatoes

Kitchen sink venting?

I haven't run or changed any drains to date. I find it odd that whoever did the original install interchanged materials when obviously pvc was available then. That's good to know. I would use pvc if I change anything going forward unless it wasn't necessary. I will also snap a picture of the...
  16. Potatoes

Washing machine box install - How to deal with vent obstruction

Hello everyone. Since I had the existing drywall removed in the laundry room, I was considering installing a washing machine box. Originally the room was drywalled but it had a section missing where the washer connected and drained by the wall. This setup has been like this ever since my...
  17. Potatoes

Kitchen sink venting?

Hello. We recently removed drywall from water damage done to a laundry room and kitchen. Both the laundry room and kitchen are on the first level of a raised ranch home. The kitchen sink does not have vent close to the p-trap. The kitchen drain connects to the laundry room sink where there...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks