Search results

1. Novice DIYer

Advice for leveling alcove subfloor

I understand. The joist span below this particular bathroom is ~10 feet with two beams supporting them.
  2. Novice DIYer

Someone turned me on to John Bridge last year. My deflection should be about L / 615, good for ceramic. So hopefully my chosen porcelain floor will be fine. Thanks again for your insight!
  3. Novice DIYer

Do you believe that a slope will be very noticeable if I do not have the subfloor outside the alcove leveled with the alcove? Can you point me to pictures of a finished slope floor against a bathtub where tile covers the gap below the bathtub?
  4. Novice DIYer

Yeah, I’ve watched videos and read thoroughly about SLC. It definitely does not seem simple with all of the prep and effort to get “slush” to cooperate. If my bathroom were on ground level, I would likely be all for it given the concrete slab. But I’m not at all inclined to allow cement board...
  5. Novice DIYer

I just received what I thought would be my last estimate...and I’m a bit confused. I was told again that self-leveling would be used to level the alcove (not surprising) but this time I was told that cement board with a waterproofing membrane would be used in the alcove to stiffen the floor...
  6. Novice DIYer

1/4” Hydro Ban Board below porcelain tile

I am leaning towards choosing a 1/4” tile underlayment for my bathroom’s remodel. A Laticrete representative advised that 1/4” Hydro Ban Board can be used on the floor as an alternative to 1/4” cement board which I verified in its spec sheet (linked below). I see this as a pro given it is...
  7. Novice DIYer

I understand that the bathtub does not have to be bonded to the floor. I’m more concerned with keeping the 5/8” shims in place when the bathtub flexes given there won’t be easy access to adjust them after installation. It has been suggested in this thread and on other forums that plywood doesn’t...
  8. Novice DIYer

I agree. Mortar is a must. I’ve had some plumbers push back against its use so I didn’t even consider their quotes. Some even questioned why I would want a ledger board. I certainly appreciate everyone’s advice and explicit details to help with installation!
  9. Novice DIYer

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be able to size them from joist to joist provided from left to right, there is only one joist, and that joist is not left of the drain. Blocking would have to be added to enable shims to be screwed to framing and support the bathtub’s feet although I am not sure just...
  10. Novice DIYer

Kohler’s instructions for the Elmbrook states that mortar is optional but I will not accept a bathtub installed without it. I will also be insisting on use of both a ledger board and plastic both above and below mortar. Are you asking for the a link to the installation instructions or the spec...
  11. Novice DIYer

So would you recommend scrapping the 5/8” thick shims if blocking cannot be added? I believe that’s what you may be conveying. So essentially, rather than shims and mortar only mortar if shims cannot be screwed into blocking? I completely understand with respect to the feet. Even if my floor...
  12. Novice DIYer

The alcove’s slope is ~5/8” from left to right up to ~30” of the alcove’s length. The bathtub is 60”x30”, so if a 30”x30”x5/8” plywood panel (with cutout to accommodate bathtub overflow pipe) is used one joist would be crossed and the apron would be supported for half its length by one panel...
  13. Novice DIYer

In this case when referring to shims I am referring to ripped segments of a 5/8” thick plywood panel for use beneath the drain side wooden feet. They would minimally be multiple inches by multiple inches - larger than the area of the wooden feet. They shouldn’t split. Where can I order metal...
  14. Novice DIYer

I absolutely agree that the more support the better. I just hope that installers are willing. I may actually cut the drywall open in the ceiling below myself and install blocking (if no plumbing or electrical in the way) to be on the safer side. The idea of the shims not being screwed to joists...
  15. Novice DIYer

Assuming that the Elmbrook's wooden feet on the left (drain) side are on either side of the drain as is the Kohler Archer in the thread that you previously provided, there is no joist that will support the wooden feet. So with no option to screw the "preshim" to a joist, should there be any...
  16. Novice DIYer

Clarification Update: with a bathtub installed, the floor joists run parallel to the short sides of the bathtub or perpendicular to the long sides of the bathtub.
  17. Novice DIYer

Although I appreciate the suggestion, I would not want for my subfloor to be notched to accommodate insertion of the apron. I have been advised that the build up of flooring - especially if 1/4” underlayment is used - should cover the gap if the entire floor is not level, so I prefer that route.
  18. Novice DIYer

Hi, I am new to this forum and have never performed any major bathroom renovations. My intent has been to have a plumber install a new bathtub and related plumbing but have surprisingly encountered multiple plumbers who do not do bathtub installs. I’ve also encountered an array of differing...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks