Search results

1. bingow

Black jelly growing in my bathroom sink drains, what do I do

I've not seen any black stuff growing in our upstairs lav, but every few months we get a mild septic odor. Without taking apart anything, we pour some Liquid Plumr (modified bleach) into the sink, close the stopper, tape over the overflow and leave overnight. Sometimes use a small diameter hose...
  2. bingow

New house diagram

Hopefully not offending any pro here who may also be an author, I used Peter Hemp's book, Plumbing a House, Taunton Press 1994, plus Code Check Plumbing (same source), for reference. The book was before PEX, which I ended up using, but the basics still applied. Those books, and a little guidance...
  3. bingow

Is this media or is this from my well?

Reminds me of fresh cuttings from our well's drilling. Maybe not quite as fine as in your photo, but close. Long gone after 20+ years or I would send a photo.
  4. bingow

Water softner - Strange Issue(City water)

@drana please confirm city water or well. If well, hardness can change dramatically, and the before mentioned Hach B hardness test kit, or sending a sample off for testing should be done. DIYer here with very hard water and very short regens.
  5. bingow

The most ridiculous toilet I havever seen. No trap, dry bowl.

Considering economies, rural culture (etc) not so ridiculous when compared to one of my parent's earliest houses. A three holer, unheated, no water, no light, byo paper and fly swatter. 1945.
  6. bingow

Navien Tripping Breaker

Our Navien 240A installation plumber advised me to avoid GFCIs for the unit.
  7. bingow

PEX connections is expansion better?

I installed Viega PEX pipe and crimped fittings 20 years ago, and do not recall terms "A" or "B" ever being used. I assume the pipe is B because of its stiffness. All the Viega crimps, some 100 total, have performed flawlessly, but a couple of added "big box" fittings failed within five years...
  8. bingow

PEX connections is expansion better?

DIYer here, to add to your question for the pros. A consideration is future replacement of a fitting, and the ability to get the tool in position. I would think crimp would be easier.
  9. bingow

Tile guy made a mistake - how to fix it?

@Curiousv if the gap is that red-tinted area in the right hand photo, you will always notice it. I'd be tempted to try an oscillating tool to remove it and replace.
  10. bingow

This is fixed - I saw a little spark twice today in this junction box

OK got the pic. DIYer here; not familiar with NEC push-in vs wire nuts. Have you isolated the connection that sparks? What's plugged into the receptical?
  11. bingow

Hot Water Heater Contaminated

OP's problem nothing to laugh at.
  12. bingow

Hot Water Heater Contaminated

Might there be a way to do a whole house flush with an activated charcoal solution?
  13. bingow

Removing Yard Hydrant

The pressure tank pressurizes all lines connected, through tees or dedicated lines. For example, in your sketch, if you tee'd a new line immediately off the well, that new line woild be pressurized same as all others. Edit: the exception of course would be if a new line were past a check valve.
  14. bingow

Removing Yard Hydrant

Fire fighting comes to mind.
  15. bingow

Removing Yard Hydrant

DIYer here, with water well and yard hydrant tee'd off the pressure tank. Is it your plan to remove the hydrant because you don't want it? Don't understand why the tee needs to be removed, whether you keep the hydrant or not.
  16. bingow

Can a DIY guy install/replace a water softener?

You need specifics to size your system. Hardness, iron, manganese and other water components will be essential for you to get the best help from the pros here. A lab test is best. Also, you need to know gallons per day usage. You can estimate that, or install an inline meter (under $75 DIY). If...
  17. bingow

How to make a 20 amp breaker into a 100 amp?

DIYer; was not aware of that, thanks for the info.
  18. bingow

Sink Flange Smell

I thought it was just our sink with this problem. Every 3 to 6 months, I have to treat our upstairs lav: close the stopper, pour a few ounces of Liquid Plumr down the overflow hole, seal the hole with tape, and leave overnight.
  19. bingow

Can a DIY guy install/replace a water softener?

Fellow DIYer here. If you buy the resin tank and resin separate, it's much easier to handle the empty tank and position it accurately for later connections. But then, loading the resin without spilling is more difficult than you might think, including the cleanup. Try to find some loading tips...
  20. bingow

Old, unused Water Softener

DIYer here, first thought is wondering if your back yard system is freeze protected, even if you are in extreme southern NM? But two suggestions right off: if you don't have the softener's user manual, go online and download one. Second, get your raw water tested by a good lab, because the pros...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks