Search results

1. joe in queens

Extending ungrounded circuit

Here in NYC it's a CODE REQUIREMENT that #12 be used on 15A circuits, lighting and otherwise; #14 on a 15A circuit will be red tagged. I still haven't found anyone - even NYC inspectors - that can tell me the logic for this.
  2. joe in queens

Auto-Electrical Question

Lee was on the right track... If you've got the 4.0L engine and 42RE transmission, there was a problem with these vehicles (which many indy shops don't know about) resulting in the premature coil failure you're describing. Most though had long ago been repaired under warranty. The fix is to...
  3. joe in queens

Rough in

It took our resident plumbing expert, HJ, to catch the 300.14 violation. That was the first thing I saw, the wires are too short, especially that little one - doesn't look like 6" and if you make a mistake, it'll cetainly be less than 6". Personally, my minimum is 12" particularly on...
  4. joe in queens

Disconnecting power

You'll likely have to pull the meter to de-engergize the panel. If your meter has a locking ring, the utility usually needs to come out for an unlock. Around here though, if you wait for the utility you'll end-up watching the seasons change, so usually they're grinded them off (I am NOT...
  5. joe in queens

Generator Transfer Switch

I've been hearing those "whole house" configurations with small generators will most likely be "outlawed" in the next NEC code cycle (2008). It seems they think we're incapable of managing loads on our own, and will run each and every light and appliance during an outage. If this trend...
  6. joe in queens

Capturing freon for remodel job

I've never heard of a condensing unit being "pre-charged" with refrigerant. Every unit I've seen has been delivered empty. If your compressor has isolation valves, the compressor can be removed without discharging the system. I don't like this method, because a small amount of air does...
  7. joe in queens

General liability insurance question

A number of companies have non-auditable policies, at least here in NY. But you need a good broker with a large client base that KNOWS insurance, not just a salesman that sells policies. Insurers will often "tailor" programs if there are enough premiums in certain markets, and that's why the...
  8. joe in queens

General liability insurance question

Gross receipts policies are not a big deal... just get one that is non-auditable. Then you can pretty much report whatever sales you want to determine the initial premium, and there's not a damn thing they can do about it afterwards. To cover yourself in the event they try to weasel out of...
  9. joe in queens

Breaker Box Help

Ahhh... the ole FPE sizzle... and yours were punctuated with little pops. The little pops are usually the final warning before before sirens from fire engines are heard. I can understand your not wanting to sink any money into a rental, but this is YOUR life we're talking about. Then again...
  10. joe in queens

Smoke Alarms - Hardwired & Interconnecting

Absolutely not; I've "staggered" my breakers to reduce potential heat buildup. In other words, each row of two AFCI or GFCI breakers is separated by a row of standard breakers. And in cases where that couldn't be done, and I must stack AFCI and GFCI breakers, I do with so with the lowest...
  11. joe in queens

The definition of "outlet" had changed with respect to AFCI. When AFCI was first introduced into code in 1999, the phrase "receptacle outlets" was specifically used. The "receptacle" part was taken out with the next code cycle. And not all "outlets" are created equal... what about 240V...
  12. joe in queens

The definition of "outlet" had changed with respect to AFCI. When AFCI was first introduced into code in 1999, the phrase "receptacle outlets" was specifically used. The "receptacle" part was taken out with the next code cycle. And not all "outlets" are created equal... what about 240V...
  13. joe in queens

The great AFCI debate... Article 210.12(B) states, "Dwelling Unit Bedroom Circuits. All 15 or 20A, 120V branch circuits that supply outlets in dwelling unit bedrooms must be AFCI-protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter." Now smoke detectors aren't connected to outlets in the...
  14. joe in queens

My garage is electrically charged w/120v!!

In lieu of the foregoing, I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to bond the tracks/rails. NEC 250.104(B) suggests bonding all piping metal air ducts for additional safety, so it couldn't hurt to bond the tracks/rails too. Had that been done, the breaker would've opened (assuming no other...
  15. joe in queens

To whom it may concern

No offense taken... but my facts are correct. But it seems we're confusing issues here. The instant discussion is whether is a fire loss would be covered by unlicensed or unpermitted work. The answer is yes. Unless it's arson the insurance company must pay. I have yet to see an insurance...
  16. joe in queens

To whom it may concern

The insurance company can ask for whatever they want, but permits or licenses have absolutely NO bearing on liability coverage whatsoever. An insurance company can try all they want to deny coverage on that basis, but legally, they will never prevail. Having a license or pulling a permit has...
  17. joe in queens

DWV Vents Through Roof (NYC)

I don't like plastic pipe because I've seen enough of them come apart... all with expensive outcomes. CPVC seems to be the worst at coming apart on domestic water - you sure don't see that with copper joints. And PVC and especially ABS on DWV doesn't always seem to like being snaked...
  18. joe in queens

Should a new gas water heater need adjustment?

You really cannot compare an automobile with heating appliance. Automobile engines do not require any calibration from the factory because their powertrain management systems adjust to various operating conditions. In fact, over roughly the last 25 years automobile engines (OBD-I and OBD-II)...
  19. joe in queens

To whom it may concern

I should also mention that just because a job is permitted means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Zip, zilch, nada. If anyone actually thinks the permits are about safety... well I've got both a bridge in Brooklyn and waterfront property in Kansas for sale. The primary purpose of permits is so...
  20. joe in queens

To whom it may concern

Not to worry... DIY'ers won't take away your livelihood. For every one person that comes here asking for advice, there are probably a thousand others who pick-up the phone book and call a plumber. They just can't be bothered. They're too busy, and don't have the time or inclination to deal...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks