Search results

1. JohnCT

Why is kitchen sink on an outside wall?

In my town, code says water or drain pipes in exterior walls (Zone 5) is verboten. Exception is outdoor spigots which of course must be the frost free types. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't the code in any areas subject to freezing these days. I owned a triplex built by one of the most...
  2. JohnCT

Help with plan for reducing corrosiveness of well water

My well water is naturally in the low 6s which fluctuates seasonally, and it destroyed my home's copper. If your PEX plumbing includes polysulfone fittings and not brass, that's a big worry you don't have at least. In my case, I contacted a guy on line who was recommended to me (Aiden at Mid...
  3. JohnCT

Uponor PEX UV degradation?

I wasn't going to respond any further because we've mostly gotten our points across, but I'd just to reiterate that I'm reading *everything* available to me that I can find - I don't delve into confirmation bias - it's just not my way. I want the facts and evidence, and I've discounted nothing...
  4. JohnCT

Sure I can, and I can modify or even dismiss my hypothesis as garbage if any new information comes to light and I'll be glad to do it, but from the information we have now, my hypothesis is what I will go on with any recommendation I make regarding PEX either personally or here. I have seen...
  5. JohnCT

From what I can tell, it's not widespread at all, and seems to be in some pockets - like the Atlanta area. I wonder if it was a bad batch that went to a big distributor, or maybe the distributor stored rolls of pipe under bright warehouse lights, or maybe a major plumbing company that stored...
  6. JohnCT

I'm not just saying that. Any yellowing inside the pipe material itself denotes a chemical change within the pipe. Ask any research chemist (my brother is one). Any yellowing on the surface either inside or outside is something else altogether, and although I haven't personally seen or...
  7. JohnCT

Do you know why some Uponor yellows and some doesn't? I put in some white Uponor about ten years ago in my friends basement and when I saw it a few months ago, there was zero yellowing anywhere on it. In any case, yellowing denotes chemical changes with the polymer, and even if it's not...
  8. JohnCT

And that's me to whom you're referring, but I don't think my opinion on this matter is at all illogical. I've been very vocal about this issue and unashamedly so. My posting history on this site going back several years has shown me to be a big supporter of Uponor in the past. Today, I feel...
  9. JohnCT

Good plan - for the lousy $150 it wasn't worth the peace of mind considering the total cost of the project. Save the cut up pieces and experiment with it if you're curious about it (right now, I have some Zurn B out in the sunlight!). It would be interesting to see how it behaves when expanding...
  10. JohnCT

Please Explain This To Me

Good chance that will fix it - if not, it was a time bomb waiting to go off that needed to be taken care of anyway. Since they found a root ball, there are small cracks along the pipe or open seams that are allowing the roots to get in - roots burrow towards moisture so they love getting...
  11. JohnCT

Please Explain This To Me

That does sound like a classic tree root problem. The tree roots infiltrate the seams and cracks in the sewer pipes and snag stuff like TP slowing the flow to a crawl. Sometimes, a blob of TP and other effluent will break free and the drains will run fine until the next time the roots snag...
  12. JohnCT

I wouldn't use it, but then, the thought of that pipe buried underground would keep me up nights. Here's why - as you said, you didn't have any excessively hot water, excessive water pressure, UV, or chlorine exposure to get the yellow blotching - all things which supposedly contribute to...
  13. JohnCT

Dishwasher stopping prematurely

I built my house in 1993 - my Whirlpool reefer and stove are original - never had a problem with either. The fridge has an American made compressor in it - most these days have Chinese compressors and power saving inverters (for multi speed) that last 5 years tops. Sure, I'll save $150 in...
  14. JohnCT

Under contract, I wouldn't worry. If they can't fix it - they'll replace it. But calling them on your own starts at $150 to ring the bell then $50 every 15 minutes. The odds of getting a guy who actually knows what they're doing isn't great although you might get lucky and get an old retired...
  15. JohnCT

Good luck with that. I would have checked to see if there were any locally owned appliance guys working your area first. Too many stories of Geek Squad showing up, collecting 20 percent of a grand (don't know if we can talk prices here... LOL) and saying the machine wasn't worth fixing, then...
  16. JohnCT

Plumbers blocked attic access - want me to pay for moving it.

Are you the GC? Back when I did security systems, there were things I couldn't do that wasn't in the code ( I think) like running a wire across a hallway shoulder height.. Most codes overlap each other to a great degree IIRC, but it's been years. Did the plumber have the plans and is the...
  17. JohnCT

WEll Shock/disinfection and filtration advice.

My only well problem was low pH, so I don't have any specific advice except to say that any UV water treatment won't affect your PEX as long as UV light doesn't hit the pipes directly. UV *treated* water will have no effect on PEX. If you put in a filter that would remove chlorine, then you...
  18. JohnCT

Drain fly killer & pex

Didn't know drain flies was a thing? Regional?? I've seen several solutions that are totally organic and seem to do a great job of removing organic materials from drains and pipes. Green Gobler is one that Home Depot sells and it's got good reviews. In fact, I found this review of the...
  19. JohnCT

Drain fly killer & pex

Fly killer in the drain? In any case, there are no PEX drains or there shouldn't be. John
  20. JohnCT

Uponor colored PEX degradation -- two leaks so far

The reason they want a minimum of four inches is that connections made too close can leak and that four inch sample will guarantee that the expansions weren't too close and the cause of the failure. In your case, it's clear the pipe is prematurely aged and has nothing to do with how close the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks