Search results

1. wwhitney

[Solved] T&P valve leaking from thermal expansion

I did assume 140F tank temperature, if the actual set temperature is lower then the peak pressure would be less. What do you consider an acceptable peak pressure? Watts' only caution is that it should be no more than 85% of the T&P valve setting. So for a 150 psi T&P valve, that would be up...
  2. wwhitney

[Solved] T&P valve leaking from thermal expansion

This calculator says that with a starting water pressure of 50 psi and temperature of 90F (i.e. not a cold start, the tank is reheating), if you set a 50 gallon tank water heater to 140F, then a 2 gallon expansion tank with a 45 psi precharge should limit the final pressure to 86 psi...
  3. wwhitney

Min distance from toilet flange to closet bend

That's not going to happen if you don't want it to. Either each 90 degree joint is more like 89 degrees, or each joint has around 1 degree of adjustability (I've not actually figured out which one is true). So if you pay attention, the upper arrow won't have reverse slope like that. Cheers, Wayne
  4. wwhitney

Gas pipe sizing

A couple further comments: The table says 1/2" OD copper at 10 psi with 1 psi pressure drop can carry 401 kBTUs/hr for 60 ft. So at 190 ft you'd have a bit over 3 psi pressure drop. As to increasing from 10 psi to 15 psi, I'm still not sure about that, but it would depend on the capabilities...
  5. wwhitney

Gas pipe sizing

It's 1/2" OD, not 1/2" nominal (5/8" OD)? If so, then you are correct. 5/8" OD would be 426. As to how to deal with it if is too small, I don't really know anything about propane (other than how to read the pressure drop tables), so I don't know if 15 psi is viable, or if you'd be better off...
  6. wwhitney

Why do you say it would be sloping in the wrong direction? It would still be sloping down from the closet bend to the san-tee. So it would be sloping in the opposite direction (as far as left vs right) as the lower 3" drain, but that's fine. Cheers, Wayne
  7. wwhitney

No. So the minimum would be dictated by structural conditions and interference between the bend and the subfloor. Cheers, Wayne
  8. wwhitney

Leaving unused wye in main drain line

What I would do is make glue joint B first so I can rotate the fitting as usual. Before gluing B I'd dry fit a short piece of pipe into the A-side of the fitting, something that sticks out long enough for my torpedo level to sit on. That way I can check the slope and adjust it as I make up the...
  9. wwhitney

Use a no-hub coupling when joining two piece of no-hub cast iron. These have a corrugated shield. Use a Fernco Proflex style coupling (ASTM C1460) when joining two pieces of pipe, of the specified type on each side of the coupling, above ground. These have a flat shield. Use a regular Fernco...
  10. wwhitney

For the record, your picture is of a no hub coupling, not a Fernco Proflex. Those couplings have a flat shield, not a corrugated shield. Cheers, Wayne
  11. wwhitney

Horizontal to vertical transition advice.

My comment was in relation to the drawing in post #4. As for the OP, the righthand version, if there are really just two 45s, with the inlet horizontal (2%) and the outlet vertical (plumb), then the arrangement is planar, and there's no offset. Cheers, Wayne
  12. wwhitney

Horizontal to vertical transition advice.

FWIW, on that last drawing, to connect a vertical drain (actually plumb) at the location shown to a horizontal drain (2% slope) running as the lefthand straight segment does, you will need elbows adding up to more than 90 degrees of bend. it's geometrically impossible with just (2) 45 degree...
  13. wwhitney

90 degree horizontal bends 3" pipe- please help!

I think you're good on the cleanouts. FWIW, I would be inclined only to count horizontal change of direction. And even if not, the WC trap arm only has 135 degrees of direction change, you're not over the 135. Cheers, Wayne
  14. wwhitney

2" trap for a shower in a 2x8 floor joist

I'm not going to say that your collection of fittings definitely isn't code compliant, but I am going to say that there is at least some doubt. So given that a proper p-trap is available for your situation, I wouldn't ever use anything else. I suggest looking harder for the low profile 2"...
  15. wwhitney

Pipe Reduction At House Entrance

Interpolation is reasonable here. So for 2' out of 150', you'd lose 1/75 of the benefit of the larger size, i.e. maybe 1 WSFU. Another way to look at it is that the empirical Hazen Williams equation says the pressure drop is proportional to the pipe diameter to the -4.87 power. So if the...
  16. wwhitney

2" trap for a shower in a 2x8 floor joist

So Charlotte's catalog says the center line to center line height of the outlet of a 2" trap (relative to the lowest part of the U-bend) is 4-3/4". Add 2-3/8" for the OD of a 2" pipe, and then 3/16" because the outlet is a hub (hubs have 2-3/4" OD, so the radius is 3/16" more). That makes...
  17. wwhitney

Connect to water closet trap arm?

Yes, that's fine, as long as the 3" Trap Arm (including the vertical portion from closet flange to closet bend) is 72" or less. Then the 2" stack dry vents the WC. The 3x3x2 Combo could be a 3x3x2 san-tee if it fits better; if it doesn't matter, the combo seems to be preferred. Cheers, Wayne
  18. wwhitney

Connect to water closet trap arm?

No, one of the lav or shower dry vents would need to be 2". Because by connecting the lav/shower to the WC fixture drain before it reaches the stack that could dry vent it, you now need to wet vent the WC via that lav or shower. And a WC needs a 2" dry vent. If you make that change, the...
  19. wwhitney

Drain Diagram

I think many would prefer to see 1/4" slope on the 3" lines if possible, but the IPC does allow 1/8". As long as you don't have anything draining in from the right, the layout is good. The WC dry vent is wet venting the shower, which is why no non-bathroom fixtures can drain in from the right...
  20. wwhitney

90 degree horizontal bends 3" pipe- please help!

I'm not really up on the cleanout requirements. My only comment is that I'm not sure if the cleanout on the WC fixture drain is necessary, but a 3" or larger cleanout is supposed to have a 24" x 24" clear space in front of it. So if there's less space than that between the cleanout and the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks