Shower/tub combo broken tub spout copper stub out

Users who are viewing this thread

mhm63

Reaction score
if I cut the copper pipe, can I connect shark bite and still be able to install a new tub spout? or it is better off after cutting it, buy an end cap become a shower only

Attachments

• tub spout.jpg3.jpg
    tub spout.jpg3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 79
  • tub spout.jpg
    tub spout.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 70

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont know how common it is there or with other plumbers but I almost always have a female threded 90 at the bottom and less than 5 percent of time go with a sweat 90 . so you hight be able to get in there with a socket wench and unscrew it or use what we call cow bells to unscrew it those are in expensive set of sheetmetal siockets used in faucet repair.
I would be comfortable making a bigger hole removing the trim around the handle and burning a coupling in that wall Id have squirt bottle handy and wet the inside area and do it !

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
That loos like a reducer with a piece of 1/2" copper sweat into it. I think i would try to Un sweat it, but it could be very tricky. You might want to call a plumber for this one. There's a chance you'll have to open the wall.

It's worth looking deeper to see if it can be Un threaded.

mhm63

Reaction score
I dont know how common it is there or with other plumbers but I almost always have a female threded 90 at the bottom and less than 5 percent of time go with a sweat 90 . so you hight be able to get in there with a socket wench and unscrew it or use what we call cow bells to unscrew it those are in expensive set of sheetmetal siockets used in faucet repair.
I would be comfortable making a bigger hole removing the trim around the handle and burning a coupling in that wall Id have squirt bottle handy and wet the inside area and do it !.

Thanks. Is the broken part like this behind the wall? this is one piece shower/tub combo,house was built in 1990.
copper-jones-stephens-copper-fittings-s73001-64_100.jpg

mhm63

Reaction score
That loos like a reducer with a piece of 1/2" copper sweat into it. I think i would try to Un sweat it, but it could be very tricky. You might want to call a plumber for this one. There's a chance you'll have to open the wall.

It's worth looking deeper to see if it can be Un threaded.
Thank you, I saw on youtube someone demolished a shower/tub combo like ours, it looks like shown below.
1686046158586.png

mhm63

Reaction score
if it is like the picture shown, can I open the acrylic wall bigger, and use a mini tubing cutter shown below to cut the broken pipe?
1686046838137.png

then I use a sharkbite coupling to connect a tub spout? is this possible?
1686046921860.png

mhm63

Reaction score
or after I cut the copper pipe, can I use a plug end cap to close the copper pipe in the wall and transfer it to the shower only? is this also possible?
1686047140521.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont use that type fitting but that is entirely possible . Mine the stub out screws directly in to 90 Actually when I rough it in I stub out with a galvinized nipple at the tub and the shower head. they are temporary and changed out later when setting finish.
I dont know if yours is plumbed the way I described. Shark bite might work the spout be kinda wobbly I suppose temporary it be ok especialy if you are careful adults living there

mhm63

Reaction score
I dont use that type fitting but that is entirely possible . Mine the stub out screws directly in to 90 Actually when I rough it in I stub out with a galvinized nipple at the tub and the shower head. they are temporary and changed out later when setting finish.
I dont know if yours is plumbed the way I described. Shark bite might work the spout be kinda wobbly I suppose temporary it be ok especialy if you are careful adults living there
Thank you very much. I will probably give it a try the way that I described. :)

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
A tub spout with a sharkbite won't really be very good as it will spin.

I don't think the examples you showed is what's on your wall. I can clearly see a reducer with a soldered joint in your closeup picture. The examples you showed are one piece and aren't soldered.

mhm63

Reaction score
A tub spout with a sharkbite won't really be very good as it will spin.

I don't think the examples you showed is what's on your wall. I can clearly see a reducer with a soldered joint in your closeup picture. The examples you showed are one piece and aren't soldered.
do you mean the second picture? the second is the tub spout. the first picture is only a copper pipe, I do not know what is inside because it is dark inside. Maybe after I make the hole in the wall a little bigger, I can see it.

Basilisk

Reaction score
If the in-wall piece of pipe is not completely chewed up, I think something like this would work:
972-3RAKIT-3.jpg

It's a repair kit for tub spouts, can be soldered in, or, more importantly, epoxied: "when soldering cannot be done, copper extension shall be connected to CTS in wall using specially formulated copper to-copper 2-step epoxy".
Sioux Chief part number is 972-3RAKIT. It's cheap, I would give it a shot.

mhm63

Reaction score
If the in-wall piece of pipe is not completely chewed up, I think something like this would work:
972-3RAKIT-3.jpg

It's a repair kit for tub spouts, can be soldered in, or, more importantly, epoxied: "when soldering cannot be done, copper extension shall be connected to CTS in wall using specially formulated copper to-copper 2-step epoxy".
Sioux Chief part number is 972-3RAKIT. It's cheap, I would give it a shot.
Thank you so much. This is a better way to do it. I saw it says 5/8 inch. will the tub slip on spout work with 5/8?
1686241496488.png

Last edited:
Reactions: GRK

Basilisk

Reaction score
5/8" is the physical diameter of what we call 1/2" pipe, so all slip on spouts should work. A few retailers for some unknown reason use actual pipe diameter, and in this case the description is just plain wrong, there is no FPT side on this fitting. But that's the right photo and the right part number!

mhm63

Reaction score
5/8" is the physical diameter of what we call 1/2" pipe, so all slip on spouts should work. A few retailers for some unknown reason use actual pipe diameter, and in this case the description is just plain wrong, there is no FPT side on this fitting. But that's the right photo and the right part number!
Got it. Thank you so much!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks