Is this relief valve needed or required?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gagecalman

Reaction score
This was installed at my friend’s house years ago when the plumber added the plumbing for the washing machines. It just started to drip.
If I open the faucet on the sink it stops dripping but starts as soon as I shut it off so I don't think the pressure is increasing that fast.
He was told it's required. I didn't know so I thought I'd ask the pros.
The house is on public water and has an expansion tank on the water heater.
If it's not required can I install a threaded plug into the bottom?
Thanks for the help!

IMG_20221205_134905.jpg
IMG_20221205_134922.jpg
IMG_20221205_135142.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think so. It would be more compact to unscrew the relief valve, and put a plug into the thread that the relief valve is currently screwed into.

If you can unscrew that knurled cap, you may be able turn a screw to raise the relief pressure.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I would think so. It would be more compact to unscrew the relief valve, and put a plug into the thread that the relief valve is currently screwed into.

If you can unscrew that knurled cap, you may be able turn a screw to raise the relief pressure.
Not a great idea as model plumbing codes frown upon a "dead end" on the potable water system as it can cause contamination due to stagnant water

Remove the copper tubing as close to it connects BUT I would take a pressure reading prior to removing any safety devices

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the PSI of your water while this is dribbling?

Is the dripping continuous or intermittent?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
it might be a relief valve set at a lower pressure setting than T and p on water heater (assuming its not plugged) water heater might be in spot that wouldnt be agreeable to discharge from t and p. so they add another one at a lower setting and protect from water damage just a guess. generaly what I see in picture is un needed but gotta be a reason its there

Gagecalman

Reaction score
It is just tee'd off of the cold water pipe that runs down to the washers and ends at the utility sink.
There is a T&P valve with a drip tube on WH.
He told me the plumber said it was required. It's been there about 14 years and just started dripping.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
gagecalman,
If water drips from T&P where ever it terminates and that's fine with you. than go ahead and plug it off, or re rout the T&P to a suitable location.
I don't think you need a relief valve there .but it might be a good idea. hope you understand why it might be desirable

Reach4

Reaction score
I think this could have been put in before the thermal expansion tank.

I still think OP should check the water PSI while dipping.

That pressure relief valve could be a common 75 psi used with home wells, and that would be expected to dribble, even if there is a functioning thermal expansion tank. On most of those valves, you can unscrew the knurled cap, and adjust the pressure within limits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks