Here is a new 1-1/2 inch trap (retracting previous thoughts on a vent}

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Says "SINK GENIE IS UPC RATED AND CERTIFIED BY IAPMO, TESTING AT A DRAIN RATE OF 13 GALLONS PER MINUTE." They don't show a UPC registration number as far as I can tell.

Looking at http://www.sink-genie.com/Video3.mp4 time 2:50 says to me that this works similarly to a drum trap, in that the diameter is too big to allow siphoning.. I could see that the unscrewable sump could overcome the main objection to drum traps. Website http://www.sink-genie.com/ says "MEETS ASME A112.18.2-2015/CSA B125.2-15, UNIFORM PLUMBING CODE (UPC®)".

I have not seen one,but it looks like it could be particularly useful for some things, such as kitchen islands in areas where no AAVs are allowed.

sink-genie-01.jpg

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where does it say it doesn't need a vent?

I don't see a printed data sheet or installation instructions, which is annoying.

Cheers, Wayne

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Where does it say it doesn't need a vent?

I don't see a printed data sheet or installation instructions, which is annoying.

Cheers, Wayne

I don't see where it doesn't need a vent either. It does show it dropping into an unvented 90 going down, not how we plumb anything though. I'm thinking that was for a video shoot though, and not connected to actual plumbing.

Reach4

Reaction score
Good point. I guess I inferred it from the pictures on http://www.sink-genie.com/Home/FloodTesting

I think the step down would kill the effect of the vent in the wall. But it could be that would actually be just an unapproved S-trap.

Also starting at about 2:50 of http://www.sink-genie.com/Video3.mp4 seemed to imply that. I now repent.

Still, seems like a good conceptual idea. A disassemble-able under-sink drum trap, or oversized-sump disassemble-able bottle trap. sounds like it would be nicely functional with no vent, while not allowed now.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like a modified bottle trap. I don't see any reason it wouldn't be acceptable by the UPC which allows bottle traps so far as the down tube is corrosion resistant. I might actually pick up a few.

I had a customer who is a jewelry designer for super wealthy people. She called because she had lost an earing she had made for Magic Johnson.. I assured her that the heavy gold ring wouldn't have made it through the trap. But it wasn't in there. She was really upset at losing a $30k earing... So before I put the trap back, I peered down the trap arm, which was over 2ft long!! and I could see it teetering on the lip of where the ABS pipe and the San Tee mated.. it had caught on that minute lip. So when I presented her the invoice I placed the ring under the top carbon sheet and she found it as she was signing the $200 bill for the call... pretty happy at that point.. but not happy enuf to give me a tip!

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why in all their photos they have a 90° down bend? Why is this even needed, instead of just having a sufficiently long drain tube coming down from the sink so that the outlet pipe just goes straight into the wall the way it normally is with regular bottle traps?

1665265901482.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why in all their photos they have a 90° down bend? Why is this even needed, instead of just having a sufficiently long drain tube coming down from the sink so that the outlet pipe just goes straight into the wall the way it normally is with regular bottle traps?

View attachment 86892
Its all about the swivel! what if the santee isn't in absolutely perfect alignment with the tailpiece. just like a p-trap you don't need a perfect rough in the trap has swing

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess if you throw jewelry down the lav on a regular basis it could save a girl some money. but lessen her chances of dating a plumber .
I'm not ordering that gizmo either

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
The clear plastic does, however, allow one to monitor how fast the scum is building up.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like a modified bottle trap. I don't see any reason it wouldn't be acceptable by the UPC which allows bottle traps so far as the down tube is corrosion resistant. I might actually pick up a few.

I had a customer who is a jewelry designer for super wealthy people. She called because she had lost an earing she had made for Magic Johnson.. I assured her that the heavy gold ring wouldn't have made it through the trap. But it wasn't in there. She was really upset at losing a $30k earing... So before I put the trap back, I peered down the trap arm, which was over 2ft long!! and I could see it teetering on the lip of where the ABS pipe and the San Tee mated.. it had caught on that minute lip. So when I presented her the invoice I placed the ring under the top carbon sheet and she found it as she was signing the $200 bill for the call... pretty happy at that point.. but not happy enuf to give me a tip!
I think my bill would have been $29,000. Then you could say "hey I saved you $1000 you should be happy."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks