3-Way Switches and Dimmers

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
One concern I have with 3-way switches that are also dimmers, is the tendency to just turn the dimmer all the way down and not actually turn it off so that the other switch can then turn it on. What one then needs to do is to walk in the dark to the dimmer and "click" it to the OFF position or turn it up to the desired intensity. One location where I had 3-way switches and a dimmer was at the top and bottom of the stairs where this shortcoming and workaround was undesirable.

Another problem is to have a 3-way switch with dimmer that is compatible with low voltage transformer lighting. My solution was to hide a compatible dimmer in a bookcase and utilize two standard 3-way switches. Unfortunately, the compatible dimmer just happened to also have an ON/OFF switch which was just left in the ON position. This worked well for nearly 25 years until now.

It was almost midnight when the wife was heading for the stairs and when she tried to turn on the lights, they did not work. I was still downstairs and had not yet turned off the lights so there was enough light for her to ascend the stairs. She was running up and down the stairs flipping switches and adjusting the dimmer to no avail and expected me to fix it right there and then. I told her to plug in a motion sensing night light for now and I would fix it on the weekend (today). I suspected a failed 3-way as I've had to change out several of them recently.

So... today I put my trusty meter on one of the lightbulb terminals and it read 0 volts. I flipped one of the 3-way switches and it still read 0. Flipped the other 3-way and still 0. When I checked the dimmer position, I saw that the switch on it was off. Easy fix! Of course, I got blamed for it being in the off position.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I suspected a failed 3-way as I've had to change out several of them recently.
Speaking of failed 3-way switches, I had wired three 500W outdoor floodlights on three gable end peaks to nearby switches that I also put 3-ways in the master bedroom. The current from 500W bulbs have been burning out the switches. At first, I was suspecting the bulb and erecting a ladder to reach them only to find the bulb to be in working order.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can get "multi-location dimmers" that use a primary dimmer at one location and companion dimmers at the other location(s). E.g. Lutron Maestro has them.

Cheers, Wayne

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I don't think that technology existed in 1998 when I wired the house. The wife wants to keep the existing low voltage lights.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not sure when the Maestro switches became available, but I put some in in 2000.

Some switches just won't last long switching 1500W (three 500W bulbs). You'd want to get a heavy duty one. Keep in mind that if those lights are on for a long period of time (say overnight), that might overload a 15A circuit. Switches rated for 20A should last longer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks