Signature hardware tub supply lines question

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnnyVirgil

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace a clawfoot tub that currently has 1/2" copper feed lines coming up through the floor. The new supply lines I bought apparently have an error in the documentation, and they don't actually come with 1/2" NTP nipples, but instead 1/2" IPS nipples, that have an OD of 3/4". I'm trying to figure out how to go from the copper to the brushed nickel IPS straight pipe. I was originally thinking something like this, but I"m not sure if the threads would match correctly, or if there was some sort of brass fitting (compression or sweat) that I could use to go from 1/2" copper to 1/2" IPS. I tried searching here, but didn't have much luck. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ips and npt are the same thing.

You might just mean straight threads on ips. There are adapters for this, but tape and dope should do it. For a safer bet look for ips straight x taper adapters.

JohnnyVirgil

Reaction score
Ips and npt are the same thing.

You might just mean straight threads on ips. There are adapters for this, but tape and dope should do it. For a safer bet look for ips straight x taper adapters.
I thought one was tapered and one was not? (National Pipe Tapered vs Iron Pipe Straight) The nipples that came with this kit definitely are not tapered. Actually, the threads look a little funky, like they have small flats on them. I'll look for those adapters.

So on those adapters, I'd solder a 1/2" NTP copper female to the stub, then screw the adapter in, then use the provided nipple to get above floor level? It seems like what i need is a nipple that is tapered threads on one side and straight on the other, like this one: https://www.faucet.com/elements-of-...-3-4-ips-connections-from-the/f149131#q-and-a (found on a separate thread here)

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I thought one was tapered and one was not? (National Pipe Tapered vs Iron Pipe Straight) The nipples that came with this kit definitely are not tapered. Actually, the threads look a little funky, like they have small flats on them. I'll look for those adapters.

So on those adapters, I'd solder a 1/2" NTP copper female to the stub, then screw the adapter in, then use the provided nipple to get above floor level? It seems like what i need is a nipple that is tapered threads on one side and straight on the other, like this one: https://www.faucet.com/elements-of-...-3-4-ips-connections-from-the/f149131#q-and-a (found on a separate thread here)
Iron pipe size.

Nptt vs npts
National pipe thread taper, national pipe thread straight

JohnnyVirgil

Reaction score
Iron pipe size.

Nptt vs npts
National pipe thread taper, national pipe thread straight
Weird, mostly what I get back from google for IPS says Iron Pipe Straight, (even some links back to posts on this site) with a few referencing Iron Pipe Size. This stuff shouldn't be so confusing. :) Think that link I shared to faucet.com will do the trick? I also saw this which might work. https://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/brass-compression-lf-female-adapter-050x075.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Weird, mostly what I get back from google for IPS says Iron Pipe Straight, (even some links back to posts on this site) with a few referencing Iron Pipe Size. This stuff shouldn't be so confusing. :) Think that link I shared to faucet.com will do the trick? I also saw this which might work. https://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/brass-compression-lf-female-adapter-050x075.jpg
Ips will refer to many types of things, like if you go to the store you'll see a section of straps/hangers for ips and a section of straps/hangers for Cts (copper tube size)

Npt or NPS just refers to straight or tapered versions of the same threads.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
It is ideal on clawfoot tub to have an angle stop just as you come out of the floor, then flex up to the tub valve.

JohnnyVirgil

Reaction score
Ips will refer to many types of things, like if you go to the store you'll see a section of straps/hangers for ips and a section of straps/hangers for Cts (copper tube size)

Npt or NPS just refers to straight or tapered versions of the same threads.
Makes sense. straight and tapered of the same thread count and angle but not able to go together in a water-tight connection from what I've read?

JohnnyVirgil

Reaction score
It is ideal on clawfoot tub to have an angle stop just as you come out of the floor, then flex up to the tub valve.
This supply kit is hard nickel plated brass lines. Flex would be way easier, but it needs to look good according to my wife. ha

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Makes sense. straight and tapered of the same thread count and angle but not able to go together in a water-tight connection from what I've read?
I've not tried this alot but I actually think they would go together. I worked with a guy from Europe and they use straight threads with rope in the threads. I think tape would seal these two. I haven't had occasion to experiment although I do have a claw foot tub.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
straight threads and taper threads are similar but straight threads arent self sealing they need a a washer or gasket at the bottom of the female side

JohnnyVirgil

Reaction score
straight threads and taper threads are similar but straight threads arent self sealing they need a a washer or gasket at the bottom of the female side
That's interesting to me because I always thought the same, but the nipple and the valve (that are supplied in the kit and are supposed to be screwed together and are straight, not tapered) are made in such a way that any washer would cover the hole where the water flows when the valve is open. The instructions just say to use thread sealant.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
straight threads are not made for holding water pressure the threads on the bottom of old school faucets are 1/2 inch straight they take a washer old anglestops had straight threads going up to faucets as well .
water pipe gas pipe air lines all use tapered threads except certain connections Ive never in my experiance seen work that wasent hacked screwing straight threads together with out some sort of washer to create a water tite seal.
The piping you have must be to mate up with something specific a union perhaps or valve that has a gasket of sorts. Or I think something is wrong

JohnnyVirgil

Reaction score
straight threads are not made for holding water pressure the threads on the bottom of old school faucets are 1/2 inch straight they take a washer old anglestops had straight threads going up to faucets as well .
water pipe gas pipe air lines all use tapered threads except certain connections Ive never in my experiance seen work that wasent hacked screwing straight threads together with out some sort of washer to create a water tite seal.
The piping you have must be to mate up with something specific a union perhaps or valve that has a gasket of sorts. Or I think something is wrong
Yeah, I get that. Here's what it looks like. No washers in sight.
valve.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would test to see if the threads of the valve are tapered or straight.

I've only installed SH tub risers like that one time and I didn't like the feel of the threaded connections. I personally would recommend a different brand. The last clawfoot tub valves I installed was Victoria and Albert. Proper tapered threaded straight stop with compression fittings from the stop to the faucet with matching hardware.

Attachments

• Victoria and Albert.jpg
    Victoria and Albert.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 85
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks