Thermal Switch Keeps Tripping on LP Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Dengebre

Reaction score
I am repairing a 50-gallon LP gas water heater manufactured by American Water Heater Company (Model BFG6150T403P). It is about nine years old and the pilot light went out and could not be relit. I have replaced the burner assembly and the gas control valve unit with new, cleaned the combustion chamber with a shop vac, and have temporarily removed the dust screen so there is adequate combustible air. The pilot lights on the first try and, after the thermopile heats up (about 30 seconds), remains lit with the correct indicator light flashing. The burner ignites shortly thereafter and appears to be operating normally. However, after about 10-12 minutes there is a “click” and both the burner and pilot shut off. There are no status lights that indicate what the problem might be.

It appears that the thermal switch keeps tripping. I can relight the pilot after resetting the switch, but it trips again after the burner has run for about 10-12 minutes. The thermal switch is new (it came with the new burner assembly) so I do not know if the switch is bad or if there is something causing it to trip. Any thoughts?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am repairing a 50-gallon LP gas water heater manufactured by American Water Heater Company (Model BFG6150T403P). It is about nine years old and the pilot light went out and could not be relit. I have replaced the burner assembly and the gas control valve unit with new, cleaned the combustion chamber with a shop vac, and have temporarily removed the dust screen so there is adequate combustible air. The pilot lights on the first try and, after the thermopile heats up (about 30 seconds), remains lit with the correct indicator light flashing. The burner ignites shortly thereafter and appears to be operating normally. However, after about 10-12 minutes there is a “click” and both the burner and pilot shut off. There are no status lights that indicate what the problem might be.

It appears that the thermal switch keeps tripping. I can relight the pilot after resetting the switch, but it trips again after the burner has run for about 10-12 minutes. The thermal switch is new (it came with the new burner assembly) so I do not know if the switch is bad or if there is something causing it to trip. Any thoughts?
Thermal switch as in thermostat?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Check all the electric terminations and how clean they are. Working with a less than 1 volt. Heres the tech line 1-800-999-9515. Couldn't find a manual on their site.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks