New water heater came with some water in it

Users who are viewing this thread

RGS

Reaction score
Bought a new electric water heater recently from Home Hardware and haven't taken it out of the carton yet because when moving it onto the back porch I could hear water sloshing around inside. Is this normal that new water heaters come with water already in them? It's still sealed in the carton although that's no assurance it hasn't been previously used.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't want that heater. Who knows how long that water has been sitting in there rusting the inside of it. Water isn't really the problem its the air with the water that will rust out the heater.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suppose if its some hardship to return like 100 mile drive . look at manufacture date and should you choose cut hole in bottom of box open drain , if its clear and no stink you could try it or if its not your house or your moving? but I say swap it out who cares why just get another

RGS

Reaction score
Thought this but wasnt' sure. Thanks to everyone on this question. Very much appreciate it.

Cliffyk

Reaction score
Contact the seller and give them a hearty "WTF?"...

It could be yours was one "pulled from the line" for random QC testing and not completely drained, meaning it was tested more thoroughly than the regular production.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Contact the seller and give them a hearty "WTF?"...

It could be yours was one "pulled from the line" for random QC testing and not completely drained, meaning it was tested more thoroughly than the regular production.
I think that would be pointless the store isnt going to know why its got water . they could tell you anything

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's possible the tank was a return, and the original owner didn't drain it fully prior to returning it after deciding it didn't work, or had some other issues.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks