Recent content by Nathan Meyers

1. Nathan Meyers

Might my Noritz tankless be misreading the flow rate?

It turns out Noritz is much more end-user friendly than I expected. A new flow meter is on the way. They tell me I can even DIY replacing it, which I would do if I could get the cover off. Seems I need to have a conversation with my contractor about their use of an impact driver to tighten the...
  2. Nathan Meyers

Yes. The tech has been giving me excuses like "it's not a precision instrument" and "all parts have tolerances" and "inlet temp is higher in the summer", but 30% off is just way too far out of spec. Needing to pull 1 gpm to trigger the burner is way too far out of spec. Is it extremely difficult...
  3. Nathan Meyers

Here's the latest in the saga of my tankless cold showers... I have measured much more carefully, using a gallon bucket, and confirmed that the unit is consistently reporting flow rate about 30% low, leading to unfortunate heating decisions. The plumbing tech's response in a revisit is: it's...
  4. Nathan Meyers

Thanks for responding, Reach4. The water is softened, so deposits are unlikely. I don't know if burner trigger points have changed - this is something I haven't paid attention to until recently. Hot showers were fine for 1-1/2 years, until about a month ago. That's when we returned from a...
  5. Nathan Meyers

No, but the circuit was extended from a box servicing the living area on the other side of the wall. The one big draw is a space heater that is definitely not in use in San Diego at this time.
  6. Nathan Meyers

Interesting insight. In the circumstance, it takes an annoying, assertive customer to get the support promised by the warranty. It's not a role I enjoy, but apparently one I have to play right now.
  7. Nathan Meyers

Thanks, John. It's a year and a half old and still under warranty (the problem started recently), so I'm not in any rush to shop around. But the service tech gave me an unsatisfying response (I need a higher-flow showerhead... which isn't legal in California), and I'm having trouble buying that...
  8. Nathan Meyers

Cold water supply static pressure is 50 PSI.
  9. Nathan Meyers

Thanks for the closer look, Fitter30. I'm also using timing on the video, but I know it's hard at that rate to see exactly what's happening. I've made another video that shows results at three different flow rates - consistently reading about 30% low on the Noritz remote. I suspect the answer...
  10. Nathan Meyers

I have made a video illustrating the problem, with some additional commentary on the YouTube page:
  11. Nathan Meyers

Thanks, Fitter30. I see this is a recommended descaling procedure from Noritz, doable either by techs or by "savvy homeowners". It's been six months since a routine maintenance visit/cleaning from the contractor... does scale seem likely (water is softened)? Does scale seem a likely explanation...
  12. Nathan Meyers

Thanks, Terry. Is there a way for a consumer to reach the Noritz team?
  13. Nathan Meyers

Thanks for the response, Terry. It's a single-handle Moen Posi-Temp valve, which probably has the behavior you're describing. So I've taken another reading at the bathtub - a two-knob fixture that delivers 4.25 GPM with the hot fully open. The Noritz read 3.0 GPM (maintenance monitor display...
  14. Nathan Meyers

I started having a problem recently with my Noritz tankless. Problem is when taking a shower (one knob, Speakman head, 1.5 gpm flow restrictor), it recently stopped keeping the burner on when the shower is set to a comfortable temperature. Plumber insists there is no problem, but I'm suspecting...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks