Recent content by Gsmith22

1. Gsmith22

Is Radioactive GAC a thing?

this video has a very visual description of the three forms of radiation being detected using a geiger counter and how various materials can/don't block the radiation: here is probably a more practical video using lots of everyday things you know about/may not have realized are radioactive...
  2. Gsmith22

if that is what you took from what i have posted here, by all means carry on. a darwin award awaits
  3. Gsmith22

alpha can't pass through a sheet of paper so its unlikely getting through the filter body and certainly not through your skin. keep alpha outside of your body and its fine. beta can pass through the floor and your skin but the furthur the distance and more it has to pass through, the less chance...
  4. Gsmith22

have you read these yet? lots of questions likely answered in these threads https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/treatment-suggestions-for-uranium-needed.91929/ https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/system-review-and-sourcing-5810.93806/ I don't want to alarm you, but radon...
  5. Gsmith22

yes, its a thing. I replace my carbon on a 2yr cycle to avoid any issues. The amount of radioactivity will depend on the amount of radon being captured in your carbon. I suppose its possible to estimate the radioactivity if you know your radon level but those chemistry calculations were beyond...
  6. Gsmith22

Fleck 3210 timer running backwards

any check valves on the flow through softener and the bypass flow? could have an issue where you get water moving in a circle if you don't stop flow from moving backwards through softener. maybe that is causing timer to run backwards? Edit: bypasses are typically closed while softener is in...
  7. Gsmith22

I Give Up - Untreatable Water - Just About All Solutions Exhausted - High Iron

you have low ph, high ferrous iron, and high hardness (ignoring tannins for now). usually you want to remove hardness at low ph; but remove high ferrous iron by oxidizing it at high ph, turning it into ferric iron so it can then be filtered out. not sure how tannins were measured but could that...
  8. Gsmith22

Seeking Well Water Treatment Recommendations - Water Softener and more

did you search for what others have done? i have a number of posts regarding low ph, gross alpha, uranium, radon, and hardness remedation. here is a couple of old ones from me that i found: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....h-gross-alpha-radium-uranium-and-radon.81450/...
  9. Gsmith22

5800 Upflow running out of water too soon

echoing Reach, I would be shocked to hear they are not adding chlorine/chloramine. Its entirely possible the individiual has no idea. You could check for chlorine with pool water testing supplies. In the event they are not treating the water (again, this is 3rd world banana republic type...
  10. Gsmith22

Water Filtration help, please!

ferrous (dissolved) to ferric (not dissolved) iron can happen with a variety of processes. you basically oxidize the ferrous iron so you can physically filter out the ferric iron. oxidation can happen with the addition of air, chloine, h2o2, and probably something else Im not remembering...
  11. Gsmith22

-2.5 is crazy low for LSI. assuming the calculation was done correctly, I would look into soda ash injection to correct the pH, not calcite. you already have soft water, no need to screw that up with calcite and then need a softener to reduce hardness after correcting the pH. ferrous iron and...
  12. Gsmith22

Run an LSI calculation. slightly low pH and soft water could mean very negative LSI which will eat copper and other metalic substances that are part of the plumbing system. With only 2.5 years in, its probably too early to show any visible problems. if you have pex, probably not a plumbing...
  13. Gsmith22

Are these acid neutralizers on amazon any good?

5.6 is very low. I was under the impression that running water through calcite only works for relatively moderate changes in pH like say from 6.5 and up. Plus you get the added benefit of a bigger softener afterwards. Why not soda ash injection? you can dial in the pH change without the...
  14. Gsmith22

Confusing field of kitchen water purification

water is known as the "great dissolver" for a reason. it doesn't like to stay pure. Water will tend to dissolve whatever it comes in contact with regardless of its pH (although low pH contributes to this property). The more things dissolved in water (ie high TDS), genearlly the less active this...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks