Recent content by GoingQuiet

1. GoingQuiet

Air handler filter slot difficult to navigate when replacing filter

Can we see what the remainder of the return duct looks like that hooks up to that base box? What external size is the fiberboard return duct? Can you permanently yank the original filter and install a 4” or 5” thick filter housing off to the side?
  2. GoingQuiet

Water pressure booster pump

Big box hardware store grade water softener is the offending restriction point to optimal water flow here. That lady upstairs who was about to pop out a baby wants to run the shower and washing machine simultaneously and not be affected if her hubby waters the garden. In my area I can’t replace...
  3. GoingQuiet

I try not to push my average submersible pump beyond 70 at most because for many of the 1/2 horse pumps found around here, the pump curve chart shows a drop in efficiency beyond 63 psi. Enough so, that Goulds Pumps mentioned it in a class.
  4. GoingQuiet

I’ve never used a cycle stop valve. Nothing against them, just never seen one in the wild up here. The water softener is the bottleneck here. The booster allows me to remedy without replacing the softener. Our State Department of Environmental Protection makes the installation or replacement...
  5. GoingQuiet

The booster pump is field set to run between 78-86 psi, has a small internal pressure storage tank with Schreader (car tire) valve and is complemented with an extra pressure storage tank hanging from the ceiling which will greatly reduce short cycling and increase pump longevity. Above the...
  6. GoingQuiet

The Grundfos Scala2 pump was installed on a pmb1 (pump mounting bracket) and piped primary with Viega Pureflow 1” pex. The removable inlet check valve is installed within the bottom pipe connector. When the booster pump shuts down, this check valve acts like a foot valve on a jet pump. It...
  7. GoingQuiet

I was new to this home’s plumbing issues. Pressure was typically 30-50 psi measured at a gauge located between the softener and ultraviolet (stainless steel) tank. The 1” pvc piping is a mess. Iron levels in the water are somewhat reduced by use of 5 micron filter elements which are stringent...
  8. GoingQuiet

Looking to pull 1” poly pipe through soil.

The upstream side which was in a short excavated trench just outside of the 6 inch steel well casing was sealed but it was some generic cheap caulking that I had laying in the back of the truck. Obviously it didn’t work all that great! Will probably seal inside with clear silicone and get a...
  9. GoingQuiet

Project 3: This job was only about 50 feet from the house to the 6” steel well casing. Hand pushed 3/4” CTS roll pipe from the basement out through the original 1” poly. It got tough to push on the last 5 feet, maybe a rock on the original pipe or a kink or something. The CTS pipe uses a...
  10. GoingQuiet

Cutting 3" thinwall copper drain

Keep in mind that the thinnest part of an old copper drain pipe is typically going to be the 6 o’clock position where it’s been eroded over the years. I’d cut the bottom of the pipe first with a long “thin kerf” blade on a sawzall. If the pipe cracks lengthwise at the bottom, go back to your...
  11. GoingQuiet

Having walked backwards (with quite a lean) I’ve pulled about 110 feet of a 135 foot pull. Using the old pipe to drag the new pipe. Legs and shoulders were a bit sore for a day. I set up a new foot valve and drop pipe down to it. Attached new line through wall to jet pump, cleaned Venturi jet...
  12. GoingQuiet

Had to create some room to make the radius.
  13. GoingQuiet

3” conduit had shifted sideways over the years. That old pipe needs to go through the concrete wall and be hand pulled while walking backwards diagonally across the basement and out through the hatchway door.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks