Recent content by Dorrough

1. Dorrough

Well water tank storage ---would like to pressurize with compressed air

There is something called a water pressure tank that does just this. We used to keep a 250 gallon plastic tank filled with water that we brought in from offsite. This was connected to a pressure tank. There's a small pump that pumps the water into a little steel tank that has a rubber bladder...
  2. Dorrough

Still Rotten Egg smell after replacing aluminum rods

Hey, this is a familiar problem! We had the same issue especially after the water softener went in. Replaced the anodes as suggested which helped some, but the water was coming out with spurting when first turned on. Suspicious, we caught a balloon full of water and "air" and took it outside and...
  3. Dorrough

Replacement for small bathtubs

Look at Jetta tubs. They used to make a model called WaterDance "Soothing Falls" which seems to be discontinued. I tried one out in California on a visit to Tubz, and it was the most comfortable tub I ever sat in. Dimensions were 60" x 30" wide x 25 3/4" deep. The bath well itself is 24". 53...
  4. Dorrough

First chlorination; How do I open my well?

I've been struggling with contaminated well water for a while. Problem is, we live in karst topology, so there are many sinkholes and caves. In fact, my well had to be cased through a couple of cave spaces during drilling. People dump garbage, dead animals, and all kinds of stuff down sinkholes...
  5. Dorrough

Any experience with Washlet type seats and hard water?

I've always wanted one of the washlet type seats from Toto. The heated seat . . . the warm water . . . the air dry . . . seems so wonderful. Especially since I hope to age in place, and put off the day when anyone has to assist me with cleanup operations. But our water is very hard, over 100...
  6. Dorrough

I don't understand face masks in Japan

I saw this quite a bit on my trips to Japan, and it makes sense to me. Yes, the face masks don't provide hospital-quality protection. But they do provide SOME protection, especially if you are the one who is sick. Then if you sneeze or cough, the germs stay mostly inside your mask and you don't...
  7. Dorrough

Norton Antivirus shuts off if not renewed

Good one, Redwood! Oh, you made me laugh. Yes, many people think Norton is as bad as the average virus! That was succinct and funny. Unlike my long ramble below: Since the dawn of IP time, anti-virus software has worked like this: you pay for it, which gives you the "engine" and the regular...
  8. Dorrough

Shameless plug & request for feedback

Beautiful! Your site is beautiful. I am very impressed! The only comment I would offer is that the gallery page is very slow to load, due to the large number of graphic files. It displays the scroll bar, and then there is a gap of nearly a minute before anything else comes up. I'm on fast DSL...
  9. Dorrough

Catastrophic Failure

Backing up Well, I don't have a Mustang, but can offer some backup advice. Unless you just enjoy doing it, don't try to do RAID at home. RAID is great for business data centers and network file servers, where you can't tolerate any downtime. The advantage of a RAID array is that the system can...
  10. Dorrough

Wells in karst cannot be disinfected, it seems

Can we have a do-over? This forum is too valuable a resource to lose to hurt feelings. I bet that for every one who posts a question, there are at least ten, if not a hundred, people who come and get the answers they need. As a result, people are doing things with their own hands, making their...
  11. Dorrough

How hard is it to build a shower?

Shrinkage! Ah, good point. I am good to go with shrinkage for the floors and showers, but backsplashes I haven't figured out yet. For those who aren't familiar with log construction, most of the settling in a log house takes place in the first few days/weeks of construction, when the weight...
  12. Dorrough

Good idea The whole thread kind of got off track. My fault, I should have left it at the well-disinfecting and moved the UV question to the other forum. I'll go ahead and move over there. I don't know if one of the bowdlerizers can cut the thread in two and delete all the comments that don't...
  13. Dorrough

How hard is it to build a shower?

Long story! Thanks for all the good advice...the last post cracked me up! Yes, it's a good shower base, but it's just temporary. We're building a log house - well, the crew erected the logs, and the roofer put on the roof, but we're doing everything else. So far, two of us washed the walls (you...
  14. Dorrough

DIY furnace installation

Hey, thanks That's great info. As a "lay person" it's hard to know what things are do-able and needs help. I found out I can do tile floors just fine - as well any I have seen. But I wouldn't try to set my own arm if it was broken; I'd go to a doctor. Everyone out here has propane because we...
  15. Dorrough

Keeping it in the family Don't want to cause any ruckus ... Terry says it's OK for people to market their work here if it doesn't compete with his, I believe. It would be rather rude to take business from the person who is providing this excellent forum. So if it's non-competing, I'd just as...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks