Recent content by Brian Nagy

1. Brian Nagy

Is this DWV plan compliant with UPC?

I agree, that is plausible. I am not aware of any lab testing that was done to establish these UPC standards. In IPC, used internationally and by more than twice as many US states as is UPC, there is no such requirement, and the plumbing works without problem, providing an enormous volume of...
  2. Brian Nagy

I agree with you. I was outraged by being required to replace the 2x4 wall with a 2x6. It creates a huge mess, it creates a lot of unnecessary waste for the landfill, it adds significant effort and time to the project, and considering that the price of building materials and disposal fees have...
  3. Brian Nagy

I agree with you. The actual weir that provides the water seal is within the toilet fixture itself, and this is why the IPC explicitly excludes toilets from the requirement that the vent opening not be entirely below the weir of the trap; it is physically impossible for a toilet to meet that...
  4. Brian Nagy

I agree with you. I went back through the code and found the UPC footnote that explicitly includes the w.c. tailpiece in the length determination for the trap arm of the fixture. It is not the case in IPC, and quite frankly, it is without merit. The entire reason for a trap arm length limit has...
  5. Brian Nagy

Thank you for the reply. I was not aware that the tailpiece before the closet bend was considered part of the trap arm in the 6' limit for the WC. I think I'm cutting it close, but I'm probably good. My CAD model measures the tailpiece at 14.25" down from the flange into the hub of the closet...
  6. Brian Nagy

7. Brian Nagy

Draining bathroom group into one vertical stack (UPC)

I'm converting a small home office space in my house into a second bathroom for my mom. There's only one configuration possible for the fixtures in the space and only one non-structural partition wall through which I can run a 2" vent up from the crawlspace. The 3" building drain runs...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks