Recent content by Basilisk

1. Basilisk

Shower/tub combo broken tub spout copper stub out

5/8" is the physical diameter of what we call 1/2" pipe, so all slip on spouts should work. A few retailers for some unknown reason use actual pipe diameter, and in this case the description is just plain wrong, there is no FPT side on this fitting. But that's the right photo and the right part...
  2. Basilisk

Shower/tub combo broken tub spout copper stub out

If the in-wall piece of pipe is not completely chewed up, I think something like this would work: It's a repair kit for tub spouts, can be soldered in, or, more importantly, epoxied: "when soldering cannot be done, copper extension shall be connected to CTS in wall using specially formulated...
  3. Basilisk

Water shutoff valve - replace, relocate, etc?

As expected: https://www.law.cornell.edu/regulations/illinois/Ill-Admin-Code-tit-77-SS-890.1190
  4. Basilisk

Water shutoff valve - replace, relocate, etc?

I would be extremely surprised if a homeowner-side shutoff valve is not an absolute must when on city water, especially in IL, that is not exactly famous for its lax plumbing code. You can't drywall in an existing valve, even if you don't intend to ever operate it, as it needs to be accessible...
  5. Basilisk

Waterproofing water heater closet

My 2 water heaters are sitting in a 3x5' closet in the garage, on a sheet of OSB that is the raised "floor". The closet is drywalled from the inside as well, and there are tons of gaps all around, so in case a leak happens outside of a drain pan, or if drain pans overflow, all the water would go...
  6. Basilisk

Replacing 2 DV gas WHs with recirc, looking at hybrids and other options

My current setup is two 40gal ProLine (NG, direct vent) heaters sitting in a dedicated closet in the garage, connected in series. Heaters are original to the house, with 2004 date code, so it's probably about time to start planning their replacement. The first in series already has a what feels...
  7. Basilisk

SOLVED: Yet another posi-temp flow issue (but probably not what you think)

heh, I also ran into that site more than once by mistake :) That's Austin, MN. Our water is currently at 100mg/L, which is less than 6 gpg, unless my math is wrong: https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Water/WaterQualityReports/WQS%20Q1%202022.pdf
  8. Basilisk

@breplum My theory is that these deposits were bits and pieces of deteriorating anode rods from the past, that clump together around any edges they can attach to. Last year, when I went around proactively replacing all faucet supply lines, the hot side would look something like this: Now...
  9. Basilisk

Just in case anyone else runs into a similar issue (flow slowly getting worse over time, replacing cartridge doesn't help): Sulfamic acid trick worked! I removed the cartridge and the shower arm, and used a large syringe with a clear tube to pour sulfamic acid solution down the shower riser...
  10. Basilisk

Hey @Helper Dave , thank you for your response! Yup, still having the problem... The pipes are all copper and are not that old (15 years), the valve is soldered in. Going to do the test with the cartridge removed again over the weekend. Last time I did that, a lot of water was coming out of the...
  11. Basilisk

Howdy folks, Obligatory "long time lurker, first time poster" - have been reading this forum for a while and it helped me a lot, so I was hoping to tap into the collective wisdom. One of the showers (posi-temp) is having low flow issues - 1.1 gpm, as measured with the shower head removed, and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks