Recent content by Adkroot

1. Adkroot

Water line insulation options

Insulating pex lines for a new whole house system. K-Flex closed cell foam with adhesive is $8.60/6’ length, and H.D.’s Everbilt is .78 per 6’ length, no adhesive, but I’ve got plenty compatible tape. Is there any reason to even consider the K-Flex? Thanks, Dan
  2. Adkroot

Bradford White/AO Smith decision

I’ve got to install a direct vent lp unit and would prefer Bradford White’s model, but can get AO Smith’s unit for $350 less. Specs are nearly identical on both units. Is the up-charge on the BW worth it? Thanks, Daniel
  3. Adkroot

Thread cutting mess

installing 3/4 sch40 black steel, and my Toledo dies weren’t cutting very clean threads. Teeth were sharp and undamaged, but I went ahead and bought a new Ridgid 12R threader, since Toledo doesn’t make the old die design anymore and I figured the dies were more dull than I thought. I hadn’t used...
  4. Adkroot

Ridgid 2a pipe cutter replacement wheels

I’ve got several ridgid pipe cutters - 3 and 4 wheel cutters - that were my father’s, and I bought a replacement set of cutting wheels for the no 2 cutter (same as today’s 2a). I was surprised to see that the wheels have a more blunt edge than the old wheels I took off, which are relatively...
  5. Adkroot

Outdoor Gas Shutoff (LP) full port?

Does a reduced port ball valve have much if any effect on flow? My understanding is that the port reduction has an effect on water, but no so much on gas. Is this correct? I can’t find anything regarding this in the National code, and when my local gas company made the connection between my...
  6. Adkroot

Need advice on septic drain field

Are your leach lines stone and pipe, or infiltrators? I can’t answer your question, but those details may help. Mine failed similarly after half that time and I had used infiltrators.
  7. Adkroot

AO Smith direct vent water heater vent length

it’s just crazy that AO Smith can’t even say how long a length they supply with the unit. I only need about a 48” horizontal run, but a longer vertical that puts the entire length over 80”, which I’m wondering if is all they supply… but they don’t even know.
  8. Adkroot

AO Smith direct vent water heater vent length

Trying to find out what the total length is of the expandable vent for AO Smith’s GDV-40 water heaters. AO Smith customer service says they don’t know and to reference my supplier who also doesn’t know. Checked with my hvac supplier who can get the part, and he says there’s no info and when he...
  9. Adkroot

Heat exchanger material?

I appreciate the input, and i understand that trying patch a pin hole isn't much of a repair (I only need to stop the drip for a couple days until the new heat exchanger arrives) but in my plumbing work I can definitely say that solder will readily adhere to copper whether it's in the fitting or...
  10. Adkroot

Heat exchanger material?

Trying to apply some solder to the pinhole leak in the tubing on my Bosch water heater heat exchanger and it beads and rolls right off. Yes, I cleaned it, buffed with emery cloth and fluxed. It looks like copper, cleaned up and sanded like copper, but no go on the solder. No problem at all...
  11. Adkroot

PEX manufacturer differences that cause price variations?

I'm looking at a new construction installation of a PEX home-run system, and I'm seeing some big price variations between PEX brands. Apollo and Bluefin are substantially lower priced than Viega (all type b) but overall, Uponor, Viega are priced substantially higher than their competitors. Is...
  12. Adkroot

Alternate heater to A.O. Smith gdv-50lp?

My need is for a sealed combustion, direct vent, no electric requirement lp water heater and the gdv-50lp meets all the criteria. I believe Bradford-White makes one too, but they're currently on backorder for a while and priced higher that the A.O. Smith model. Is there a similar unit out there...
  13. Adkroot

Pitless o ring replacement

I found the size I need at a plumbing supply yesterday. The issue with regular o rings is that the material isn't the same - an o ring for a pitless is a good bit tougher. Regular o rings, as I discovered, have little tolerance for even the slightest of misalignment and if the diameter is even...
  14. Adkroot

Pitless o ring replacement

Could it possibly be as difficult as it seems to find a replacement pitless o ring? My plumbing supplier - a major supply in the nearest city sold me my harvard pitless 14 years ago and has no replacement o rings for it. Their suggestion is to install a whole new pitless! My pitless is too deep...
  15. Adkroot

Submersible cable

I'll be installing a new submersible in a day or two. The pump installer that helped me with my old submersible used direct burial wire and it needs to be replaced. Is the submersible cable I see online any different or more appropriate for this application? Thanks
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks