Proflo 2.1 g thermal Expansion tank pressure setup w new 40 g electric WH

Users who are viewing this thread

Roadrunner255

Reaction score
Hello all,

Had a new electric water heat Installed with a 2.1 g te tank.

We are on a well with a storage tank and a Scala 1 booser pump, pressure not adjustable.

Hose bib max pressure is 82 psi.

Te tank is pre charged at 40psi.

Te tank instructions say the expansion tank should be pre-charged to the incoming system water pressure but must not exceed 80 psi.

Maximum te tank pressure is 150 psi.
My understanding is if the pressure of the te tank is lower then house pressure, tank is useless.
Thoughts?
Cheers

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your supply pressure should be less than 80. If your pressure switch is a 60/80 then get a 50/70.

Is there a check valve between your compression tank/s and your water heater?

Roadrunner255

Reaction score
No check valve and well pressure tank and pressure switch removed when storage tank and booster pump were installed.

The scala 1 5-55 is not pressure adjustable as the scala 2 is.

Wonder if I need to install a pressure reducing valve on the outlet side of the booster pump.

Thanks all.

Fitter30

Reaction score
No check valve and well pressure tank and pressure switch removed when storage tank and booster pump were installed.

The scala 1 5-55 is not pressure adjustable as the scala 2 is.

Wonder if I need to install a pressure reducing valve on the outlet side of the booster pump.

Thanks all.
That valve isn't approved for potable watet

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there's no check valve between the heat source and your pressure tank then you don't need an expansion tank. If you have a booster pump there must be a control that runs the pump.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Under what conditions does the hose bib read 82 PSI? Is that static or a tattler hand high limit? If it is a tattler high limit, is that without using hot water?

Set the precharge on the expansion tank to 80 PSI and it will only absorb pressure if/when it is higher than 80 PSI.

Reach4

Reaction score
If there's no check valve between the heat source and your pressure tank then you don't need an expansion tank. If you have a booster pump there must be a control that runs the pump.
Suppose the pressure tank built into the pump is much smaller than what you would need for a thermal expansion tank? I think OP has no separate pressure tank.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Perhaps for you I should have said cannot absorb ALL OF THE expansion volume. What do you think I meant?
Then the pressure tank is too small. I don't really see a reason to have two tanks to look after when one can do both jobs. If for some reason the pressure tank is cut off from the system then yes two tanks.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Then the pressure tank is too small.
It is what it is. It is meant only for controlling the pump. If you need an expansion tank, buy an expansion tank.
19-12-42-05.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks