Inset Toilet Flange Above Finished Floor Question

Users who are viewing this thread

LiverpoolTX

Reaction score
Howdy,

Looking for some help with a question regarding toilet flanges and wax rings.
I have a stainless steel toilet flange ring flush with my floor with an inset pvc glue in portion. The only issue is the pvc inset is not flush with the steel toilet flange. It is 3/4 inch above the finished floor. Can I place a standard wax ring on top of that or does the inset need to be cut out so that the wax ring lays at finished floor? Please ignore drywall mud dust and terrible mud work in the background… first time doing drywall/skim coating has gone…. poorly..
Thanks in advance for any help!

Overall and Platform.jpg
Inset Above Floor.jpg
Glued Inset.jpg

Dustbunny

Reaction score
I am not a plumber but I just went thru something similar where I needed to use a 3/4" thick foam/plastic part from one brand of no-wax-ring to ensure that the (link below) no wax ring would stay stuck where it belongs.

Take a look at the bottom of the toilet you intend to use to see how much height there is around the horn.

LiverpoolTX

Reaction score
I am not a plumber but I just went thru something similar where I needed to use a 3/4" thick foam/plastic part from one brand of no-wax-ring to ensure that the (link below) no wax ring would stay stuck where it belongs.

Take a look at the bottom of the toilet you intend to use to see how much height there is around the horn.

Thank you for your help!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The metal ring is used to bolt the toilet down to the floor and has nothing to do with the actual seal between the toilet and the flange.

The flange needs to be stable/stationary which is usually done by being secured to the metal ring or the building structure or encased in concrete. If the flange is too tall above the floor it will make contact with the toilet and not allow the toilet to set down on the finished floor and also not allow for the seal material (wax or waxless) to make up the gap between them. If the flange in your case is too tall, you have at least two options. 1- replace the flange with one that is at the proper height or 2- raise the height of the toilet with shims or extra flooring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks