These Asian bot-takeover posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sorry we are after them left and right. we have set up extras spam/bot precautions we will be doing a forum over haul this weekend.

thanks for the patience.
Thank you, not really a bother to me but i feel it is to others and is selfish and rude of them to waste peoples time and whatever other harm they want to do

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Another forum I frequent blocked all chinese IP addresses.

Another forum with this same spammer has made it that all new member posts must be reviewed (by an admin) before it posts.
We do have any foreign ip on spam search as well as location, and now a much more strict captcha process.

I personally run another forum with post approval. But we have over 30 admin who do approvals and moderate. With the amount of traffic on this forum it would take a team of 200. Terry loved that this was a little more open to all. And we will do what we can to maintain his inclusive vision for a platform

Bests, Andrea Love

Zenon2cubed

Reaction score
I also manage a website and found most of my spam and hacking was originating from data centers, I blocked whole subnets at the firewall level without affecting any legitimate users. Just a suggestion.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It looks like these two spam-bot accounts are sleepers and should be deleted.
11-09-19-18.png

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
We do have any foreign ip on spam search as well as location, and now a much more strict captcha process.

I personally run another forum with post approval. But we have over 30 admin who do approvals and moderate. With the amount of traffic on this forum it would take a team of 200. Terry loved that this was a little more open to all. And we will do what we can to maintain his inclusive vision for a platform

Bests, Andrea Love
Just don’t ban Canada ;)

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score

LOL, good thing I already joined. I never get by the captcha things. "Is that the bumper of a bus or a guardrail??"

John

Taylor Love

Taylor Love
Staff member
Administrator + Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
LOL, good thing I already joined. I never get by the captcha things. "Is that the bumper of a bus or a guardrail??"

John
It's also a good thing you have more than five posts then. I do still prefer the picture captchas more than the book reading captchas though. Those book reading ones are quite diffficult. Thinking about making it so that new users also have to solve the captcha for any post or replies until they have a certain number of post/replies already. Maybe 5? 3? Not sure yet.

I'd also like to get the email server working again. It's ironic, really. I need to enable email validation to prevent spam, but the emails won't send because Google thinks the emails are spammy. Hopefully we'll be able to figure this out.

Also, there are libraries out there that can analyze a post and make a best guess as to which language the post is in by looking at the syllables in the sentences. It wouldn't require contacting any external APIs either, so it wouldn't incur any additional costs to do it. Basically, if a post isn't written in English I think we can safely assume the poster isn't on the correct forum.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Thinking about making it so that new users also have to solve the captcha for any post or replies until they have a certain number of post/replies already. Maybe 5? 3?
Do note the two sleeper accounts I mentioned above have generated enough garbage posts to get past post count limitations. Also, some spammers will create several benign "placeholder" posts that slip past initial scrutiny and then later come back and edit them. Edited posts don't pop back up as new posts so may not catch the attention of mods.

Taylor Love

Taylor Love
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Do note the two sleeper accounts I mentioned above have generated enough garbage posts to get past post count limitations. Also, some spammers will create several benign "placeholder" posts that slip past initial scrutiny and then later come back and edit them. Edited posts don't pop back up as new posts so may not catch the attention of mods.
Oooooh. That is sneaky. Good point. Hmmm. I'm not sure how to handle post editing yet. The sleeper accounts will take some thought, for sure.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The sleeper accounts will take some thought, for sure.
It makes it easy if all they do is post garbage. Just delete and ban then like you do regular spammers. Some however get real sneaky and copy another member's question so that it looks legit and it only get detected if someone recognizes it as a copy and reports it.

Taylor Love

Taylor Love
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Just added some new anti-spam code. Should be usable to automatically reject a lot of the new accounts we've been getting based on IP and email accounts. Also made it so moderators have better access to the anti spam clean-up tools (Or whichever group has access to the spam cleaner).

The spammers remaining are going to have to do a bunch of captcha, so they at least won't be able to fully automate registrations.
As for getting our emails off of the google block list, anyone have any experience with that? It doesn't just go to the spam folder, it literally does not even reach the spam folder. God help us if anyone ever needs a password reset email. I checked the firewall, so that isn't it. And emails DO send. Just not to gmail.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks