Wall sink Trap Adaptor

Users who are viewing this thread

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
I had a plumber install a trap adaptor on my sink drain stub out. Problem is when I put the bell escutcheon on with the J-pipe the escutcheon isn't flush to the wall. Before I cut off something and then have to do further repair to the wall, tile and the pipe, I thought I'd ask here. What I'm thinking to do is to cut the trap adaptor off flush where it is and install a new one that will be flush with the wall or even inset in the tile. There is space/room between the wall and pipe to push the trap adaptor back in the hole.
Escutcheon to wall.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like a statement but no question. I can guess why plumber did that... he didnt know you were using a fancy p trap, or you decided later to dress it up. In any case it would look better to cut off the adapter and glue one on closer to wall. You can do that yourself just cut it with a hand saw use pvc primer and pvc glue

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I try to leave the trap adapter not glued until the sink is in and ready to be installed I usually glue the trap adapter at the time of installing the faucet. When I glue them I cut and glue the pcv at a length where only the threads are sticking out of the wall.

It doesn't always work and sometimes you'll need a a trap adapter that is male on the glue side as the fitting will be protruding from the wall.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont know if I ever glued on an adapter at rough. When I have an unknown , like on pedestal lavs with no idea on finish wall or the thickness or the type of finish Ive done one of 2 things 1 glue trap arm and wrap with foam wrap or cardboard so the hole in the finish wall allows for an adapter to be recessed tight to wall 2 place a stubout in wall but leave un glued and remove it on finish and glue proper length in. note : Warning its risky and easy to forget to glue the stub out later. The time from roughing in to setting finish can vary it could be monthes many monthes anything can happen in construction delaying a project and risky to depend on memory

Reach4

Reaction score
Question for Pat: if you did cut where you marked, would the hole in the tile clear a hub trap adapter? Or were you thinking of just not having the pipe fully inserted into the socket when you glue?

If there is not clearance, and you don't think you could make clearance, you could cut a little farther from the wall. Then use a Pipe Parana to take off the remainder of the old hub. Expensive. https://www.plumbingsupply.com/pipe-fitting-removal-tool.html

You also might be able to saw, heat, peel the old hub off from around the pipe. There are Youtube videos on that.

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
Question for Pat: if you did cut where you marked, would the hole in the tile clear a hub trap adapter? Or were you thinking of just not having the pipe fully inserted into the socket when you glue?

If there is not clearance, and you don't think you could make clearance, you could cut a little farther from the wall. Then use a Pipe Parana to take off the remainder of the old hub. Expensive. https://www.plumbingsupply.com/pipe-fitting-removal-tool.html

You also might be able to saw, heat, peel the old hub off from around the pipe. There are Youtube videos on that.
Thanks for the question, yes there is clearance to install the hub adaptor. A I looked to see if there was room to push it all the way back in that hole. I also have the tools I'd need to open the opening more.

Reach4

Reaction score
That would be the easy classy solution. Make your cut square.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

rescently had some 2 inch sch 40 pvc pool plumbing repairs and chose to peel out a pipe from a fitting rathere than cut out and discard a bunch of good existing work . its a good trick I had not done that other than experimental practice and works great on pvc

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
rescently had some 2 inch sch 40 pvc pool plumbing repairs and chose to peel out a pipe from a fitting rathere than cut out and discard a bunch of good existing work . its a good trick I had not done that other than experimental practice and works great on pvc
If I peeled the trap adaptor off using heat, the new adaptor would stick out too far. That pipe would need to be cut off. I cut the adaptor off, will probably glue the new one on tonight. Thanks.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
With a big box escutcheon like that you should be able to cut the pipe flush with the wall and the new trap adapter threads are basically the only thing showing

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I peeled the trap adaptor off using heat, the new adaptor would stick out too far. That pipe would need to be cut off. I cut the adaptor off, will probably glue the new one on tonight. Thanks.
Glad its working out for you. What I was talking about was peelng pipe out of the san tee, looks like the hub is just inside the wall possibly hard to tell a spigot trap adaptor could work . also it looks like the high box flange is tubular size and not IPS technical term but the hole in the flange probebly is too small for the trap adapter to protrude so entire adapter and nut need to be under the box flange

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks