Pressure loss

Users who are viewing this thread

Shad

Reaction score
That should produce a constant pressure of around 50 PSI, so less than what your current pump produces. Is it a multi-level home or a bungalow? At what elevation is the 67 PSI measured? Remember that you lose .43 PSI per foot of elevation and depending on the pipe diameter, you may also have friction loss.
It is a two story house 300ft from the pump 50ft up a hill with a 1” supply line.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the pipe up the hill yet to be chosen and run?

When you test the pressure without flow, try to test also with maybe 10 gpm of flow, if practical.

Shad

Reaction score
Is the pipe up the hill yet to be chosen and run?

When you test the pressure without flow, try to test also with maybe 10 gpm of flow, if practical.
Already ran. Just trying to replace the pump I have.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
That would be 70 psi constant.
Yes, if the pump is installed in the house at the top of the hill. If installed at the bottom of the hill like the current pump is, there will be a 21.5 PSI loss due to elevation and more to the top floor of the house plus whatever friction loss there is over 300 feet.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok then I will go with that pump.
Any chance you could put the pump where you plan, but move the pressure switch and pressure tank up top? With a CSV, the tank would not have to be that big.

The advantage would be that the regulation of pressure would be up top. So the washing machine turning its valve on and off would not affect the pressure to the shower etc so much.

Maybe 1 inch is enough to make that pressure drop not bad with the regulation at the bottom.

Shad

Reaction score
Any chance you could put the pump where you plan, but move the pressure switch and pressure tank up top? With a CSV, the tank would not have to be that big.

The advantage would be that the regulation of pressure would be up top. So the washing machine turning its valve on and off would not affect the pressure to the shower etc so much.

Maybe 1 inch is enough to make that pressure drop not bad with the regulation at the bottom.
I can move anything but ideally I don’t want to run new waterline or electrical. I would like to just replace the pump. I have a pk1a with a 10 gallon tank and a 60/80 pressure switch in the mail. Just seeing What pump to get. I need to make a dissicion because the one I got has stopped working several time and I know it is on its last leg.

Shad

Reaction score
That would be 70 psi constant.
F40BCA73-B45C-4951-A75F-4E3DE48D4436.jpeg

Install this yesterday. My water pressure at the house is now 60psi. When the shower is on will drop to 50psi. Other than that I have constant pressure.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
View attachment 90328
Install this yesterday. My water pressure at the house is now 60psi. When the shower is on will drop to 50psi. Other than that I have constant pressure.
Perfect! That 70 PSI constant at the pump is why you have 50 PSI constant at the house, which means the house is 46' higher than the pump in elevation. Nice job! Thanks for the picture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks