Horizontal to vertical transition advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

jmose

Reaction score
I've got to make a horizontal to vertical transition, unfortunately due to the position of a chimney I cant go straight up with a sanitary tee. I'll need to offset the transition a little, Should I go with the left or right on my diagram, or possibly something else I am not thinking of? I've been reading advice on this site for years, just never had my own question. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• plumb.jpg
    plumb.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 107

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The right. You'll have to do a rolling offset which can be a little tricky, but it's better.

Reach4

Reaction score

jmose

Reaction score
The offset is not much, in fact I may be able to make it work with no offset and just add a 22.5/11.25 at the end of the horizontal section to get it back parallel to the joists and make it easier to fit if it proves difficult to fit. I think I can make it work though.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 110

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
FWIW, on that last drawing, to connect a vertical drain (actually plumb) at the location shown to a horizontal drain (2% slope) running as the lefthand straight segment does, you will need elbows adding up to more than 90 degrees of bend. it's geometrically impossible with just (2) 45 degree bends.

I don't think you can get a 3" DWV 11.25, but a 22.5 would work. Or you could try using a 45 and 60 instead of two 45s. I'd probably use the 60 as the lower elbow.

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
FWIW, on that last drawing, to connect a vertical drain (actually plumb) at the location shown to a horizontal drain (2% slope) running as the lefthand straight segment does, you will need elbows adding up to more than 90 degrees of bend. it's geometrically impossible with just (2) 45 degree bends.

I don't think you can get a 3" DWV 11.25, but a 22.5 would work. Or you could try using a 45 and 60 instead of two 45s. I'd probably use the 60 as the lower elbow.

Cheers, Wayne
My interpretation is the first drawing he's doing the offset with the 45's and but instead of rolling the 45's to complete the vertical portion he's dropping into a 90 while the second drawing is a more traditional rolling offset.

I would call the first one a compound rolling offset and the second a rolling offset. The first one isn't really useful.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would call the first one a compound rolling offset and the second a rolling offset. The first one isn't really useful.
My comment was in relation to the drawing in post #4.

As for the OP, the righthand version, if there are really just two 45s, with the inlet horizontal (2%) and the outlet vertical (plumb), then the arrangement is planar, and there's no offset.

Cheers, Wayne

jmose

Reaction score
Thanks everyone... i mocked up both configurations so you can see better, as stated the offset is minor... and I was able to get a 11.25 from supply house just in case i need it. I will go with the double 45 config. thanks again!!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 84
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 105
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks