Copper or brass nipple for Delta adapter tub spout?

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumjo

Reaction score
I am redoing my tub and putting in new pipes. I have a delta Model# 144862-BL, with the rp33794 adapter. Will this adapter fit on a 1/2 brass nipple? Or would it be best to use 1/2 copper pipe ?

RP33794-B1.png

144862-BL_ShowerSpecs_Infographic_WEB.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If your new trim comes with the adapter that secures onto copper pipe with the allen screw, thin it's copper pipe you're running the tub spout with.

They also have an adapter that either solders onto copper pipe, or will thread onto a brass nipple. Just check to see what part you have there.

rp33794-installation.jpg

Plumjo

Reaction score
Yes, the rp33794 adapter has the set screw in it so I guess I will go with copper. But I see a lot of people say that brass nipple is better than copper. Is that your experience?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, the rp33794 adapter has the set screw in it so I guess I will go with copper. But I see a lot of people say that brass nipple is better than copper. Is that your experience?
What makes the biggest difference in performance is having the tubing in the wall well secured. The copper slip spouts are easier to install because you simply snug them up to the wall and tighten the set screw. Threaded nipples only come in 1/2" increments which can cause problems if you bottom out with a 1/4" gap to the wall.

I though those delta adapters had both solder and threads?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks