Essency EXR is a 55-gallon on demand electric tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Essency EXR is a 55-gallon on demand electric tank with a 20 year warranty. Yearly cost is $640.00

From their web site:
Essency is the first water heater of its kind (patent-pending). Our introductory model, the EXR with SmartCore Technology, is an electric tank heater that performs like a tankless.

When hot water is drawn, fresh domestic water is run through a heat exchanger, where energy from super-heated water in a storage tank is instantaneously transferred to the domestic water.

The water you use never mixes with the water stored in the core tank which acts as a heat source. The result? Immediate hot water for the whole household.

essency-e55r-spec-3.jpg

essency-E55R-tank-cutaway-2.gif

essency-e55r-spec-1.jpg
essency-e55r-spec-2.jpg

e55r-energyguide.jpg

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I looked at the specs. It's a "static" atmospheric pressure 55 gallon hot water tank with a 150F to 160F set point and a flat plate heat exchanger (with small pump) to heat water as it is used. Plus a fancy WiFi enabled interface.

Cheers, Wayne

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
That does not appear to be all that great a deal... Too much technology to just heat
water.... m too many things that can go wrong with it....

Rheem is presently having fits with some of their heaters with sensors and WIFI that detect leakage
and shut down the unit.... I have somehow been added to
Rheems techinal support line for questions and I got referred to some other plumber in town that
got tangled up with a homeowner who could not get an expensive electric unit they installed
to fire up due to some sensor overloads that could not be cleared....

The "fancy" wifi interchange where you can use your
phone to fire up the unit is 100% trouble. .. But we got to
have that junk on a simple water heater to make the WOKE kids happy that they can fool
with their cell phones and feel that they have power over their surroundings.....

Also it appears that It uses about the same amount of juice as the
normal common water heater... I wonder how much that unit will actually
costs vs a common Rheem electric heater??

Cant wait to have to clean out the sediment from one of those pigs .. That ought to be fun
I would probably just walk away from one of those... I can smell dog shit a mile away and I try
to avoid stepping into stuff like that as much as possible.

In our area the water is so nasty that the lime will be problematic just like with the normal
water heaters....

Just like with an electric tankless heater you would need a water softener to make the
water neutral hard or you are gonna have troubles

Terry, now THAT looks like fun to me.....

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Made in France, sold only by Ferguson plumbing supply and has 80 gallon first hour capacity. Ferguson web site $2400 scholl down can find all the specs and link to install manual. Page 34 how to chemically clean the heat exchanger on dhw side.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Why what else have u purchased from France other than bubbly? Electric heat is 100% efficient can't make it more efficient unless you reinvent the wheel with out some other means. Look at the install manual page 39 my post has the link.

We once installed a urinal in a high end house that came from France... it never worked
correctly from the get-go and the smell got pretty bad for the customer's pretty bathroom
Repair parts were not available and even the supply line to the urinal was some off sized pipe that
could not be matched up with anything in the USA....
eventually, they gave up and turned it off and threw it out.....

Remember that getting it serviced down the road might be a huge problem...
its never gonna be my problem

so knock yourself out...... let me know how it works out for you...LOL

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
I don't understand what problem this solves.

It solves no problem.... it just is another gimmick that people think is gonna make their lives easier...
and that is why many are attracted to it... they think technology is gonna save them from the normal
things that we all have to face every day

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It solves no problem.... it just is another gimmick that people think is gonna make their lives easier...
and that is why many are attracted to it... they think technology is gonna save them from the normal
things that we all have to face every day
I thought the same thing, but the more I think about it, I think it may be a better way to heat water on demand with electric only. I think there is less descaling also. Which is the major downside of a coil.

From what I can tell it's a shell and tube heat exchanger for domestic water heating which isn't exactly new but kind of updated and rearranged. Canadians only have electric available (or practically anyway) in some places I do think this might be better than an electric tankless.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks