Toilet and shower drain sharing a vent - Shower downstream

Users who are viewing this thread

ArtMerk

Reaction score
HI,
I'm a DIYer and would love any input / confirmation for this layout. For a bathroom remodel in a basement, the waste lines will be all new under concrete, and there is a concrete wall behind the toilet and shower, a concrete footing on the wall left of the toilet, and a framed wall between shower and toilet. (In my photo, the green broom handle is the concrete back wall)

On the left, I have the toilet, and immediately downstream is a 3" wye rolled at 22.5 for a 3" dry vent that will also have a cleanout on the opposite side of the wall. (not shown is a 90 going up the wall to the cleanout) Above the cleanout, I will reduce the vent to 2" . Then I have the shower with 2" pipe, a 1.5" san Tee for a dry vent, then joining the 3" branch with a horizontal wye.

1) Does this layout look good? Any problems or suggestions?

2) I would like to NOT have the 1.5 vent in the middle wall, because there are tricky joist and clearance issues connecting this vent in the ceiling. The distance from the shower trap to the vent is 55". I believe in IPC this would be fine? But not ok in UPC?

I could put an AAV there, but I'd need a recessed box to access this, correct?

thanks!

20221031_121255 (1).jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The WC vent as conceived is quite fine. I personally, usually roll off a vent just above 45 degrees and try to only use one fitting, like a fifth bend aiming for the wall. Your cleanout concept is right on, with the 2" vent starting above it.
The 2" tee on its back should be a combo. You are allowed 5' 0", so 55" to the vent is good there.
Conceivably, you may be able to call it a horizontal wet vent without any combo but, I am not well read-up on horizontal wet venting as it became allowed under UPC here after my learning days and I have no patience to learn more plumbing in retirement.

Reach4

Reaction score
Unless he can add a vented lavatory, that is a dry vent. Can ArtMerk reroute the lavatory drainage to join the shower drain line?

ArtMerk

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. Attached is a diagram that might show the layout better.

The Lav is 8 feet away, so it would not work to have it loop back to the other fixtures. The plan has all dry vents. But if I remove the 1.5" vent after the shower (which I'd prefer to do), then there is a short section after the toilet that becomes the wet vent.

Attachments

• PXL_20221101_041732398.jpg
    PXL_20221101_041732398.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 217

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
UPC does not allow a dry vented WC to wet vent a shower. You need the shower dry vent in the wall (with a combo for the takeoff).

FWIW, if the shower dry vent is 2", then you could eliminate the WC dry vent (possibly keeping the cleanout portion) and let the shower wet vent the WC.

Cheers, Wayne

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
The WC vent as conceived is quite fine. I personally, usually roll off a vent just above 45 degrees and try to only use one fitting, like a fifth bend aiming for the wall. Your cleanout concept is right on, with the 2" vent starting above it.
The 2" tee on its back should be a combo. You are allowed 5' 0", so 55" to the vent is good there.
Conceivably, you may be able to call it a horizontal wet vent without any combo but, I am not well read-up on horizontal wet venting as it became allowed under UPC here after my learning days and I have no patience to learn more plumbing in retirement.

I don't think an ABS 1/5 bend exists but a 1/6 bend in a rolled wye would point off at 90 degrees. I am not sure that California allows AAVs.

ArtMerk

Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions!! Mrtee, I can try a 1/6 bend but they are ridiculously expensive right now, 2 45's were cheaper :)

Wayne, thanks for clarification on UPC. It is just frustrating that one code allows it!

For your idea of sharing the shower vent, I agree.... but it is very easy to continue the WC dry vent up to the ceiling and tie into my horizontal. Unfortunately the shower vent is the hard one to connect in the ceiling... but sounds like that is what is required. And yes I will use a combo for the takeoff, thanks :)

Art

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
No no , can't use a 60 degree fitting like that only on a true vertical also no horizontal dry vent underslab . you could put a 3 inch clean out there and have a wet vent at shower . but that 3 inch must not be a dry vent

ArtMerk

Reaction score
Okay thanks. Based on all the helpul input I will do the following: the shower drain will lead to a combo for a 2" vent in the wall. This will wet vent the WC, which is 5 feet from the combo. Any issues with that?

I'd still like a 3" cleanout - otherwise I gotta take off the toilet to snake. So Jeff and others, are you okay with this:
3" wye rolled at 22.5 from vertical, then turns as shown to horizontal for about 10", then into the wall and up to a cleanout that terminates -- no vent. The "horizontal" section of this cleanout is 6" above the waste line, but as Jeff says this horizontal will be under slab.

Here are more photos -- thanks everyone!

Attachments

• PXL_20221101_174529618.jpg
    PXL_20221101_174529618.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 191
  • PXL_20221101_174445630.jpg
    PXL_20221101_174445630.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 177
  • PXL_20221101_181909294.jpg
    PXL_20221101_181909294.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 219

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
1) For the wet venting, you have:

A 2" shower trap
B 2" combo for 2" dry vent
C 3" wye where WC and shower drains join
D closet flange

With the connections A -> B -> C and D -> C. Then the limits are:

A -> B maximum 2" of fall and 60" of run along the pipe
B -> C no limit
D -> C no limit on fall, maximum 72" of run along the pipe

2) If the 3" drain extension is occurring only for use as a cleanout, and not for dry venting, then none of the restrictions mentioned for dry vents apply. I'm unclear on the rules and practicalities of routing the cleanout extension, so hopefully others will comment. Minimizing the elbows would make it easier to use, I would think. E.g. a flat wye to a LT90 to turn up into the wall, if that's allowed.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
The Lav is 8 feet away, so it would not work to have it loop back to the other fixtures.
I don't think that having the lav 8 ft away is necessarily an impediment. I will make your venting easier. Maybe make a floor plan showing doors and walls and lavatory, toilet, and shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks