Raised washer/dryer rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Jtrudel90

Reaction score
I would like to thank anyone who takes out the time to read my post, I have turned to this forum many times when I have needed an answer to a plumbing question. I have tried to source out the answer to my problem with no definite answer.

I will be re-doing our laundry room over the winter months and reconfiguring the layout. I read understand code for height of the p-trap (6-18inch off the floor), stand pipe (18-30 inch). My question is I will be placing the washer and dryer(side by side) on a platform, framed like a landing. 27 inch off the floor.

If I rough in my washer drain pipe at the max 18inch for p trap, 30 inch for stand pipe, that is 48inch off the floor. my washer is 27inch in the air so the drain pipe is only 21 inches from the bottom of my washer. this doesn't seem right to me.

what is the reason for the p trap having to be so low to the floor? if the washer is now on a "landing/ platform" does this become the new floor height ?

Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture3.JPG

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are those standpipe trap height numbers from the Ontario Plumbing Code? In the US one code regulates the height off the floor (UPC), and one doesn't (IPC).

Check your washer manual for the minimum height of the standpipe relative to the base of the washer. I'd go with that over anything else; if necessary for code compliance, argue that the based of your framed pedestal is the floor height for the washer.

Cheers, Wayne

Jtrudel90

Reaction score
Are those standpipe trap height numbers from the Ontario Plumbing Code? In the US one code regulates the height off the floor (UPC), and one doesn't (IPC).

Check your washer manual for the minimum height of the standpipe relative to the base of the washer. I'd go with that over anything else; if necessary for code compliance, argue that the based of your framed pedestal is the floor height for the washer.

Cheers, Wayne
you are correct those dimensions are not from the Ontario plumbing code. I don't actually know what the code is for Ontario. I did read the debate over UPC and IPC code wording. I will have a look at what the owners manual says I wasn't going to take that as the gospel just knowing that the washer and dryer could be sold anywhere however they are new Electrolux units. might be a good place to start.

Jtrudel90

Reaction score
Just checked the manual all it states is minimum drain pipe size is 1 1/4” definitely not the info I was looking for

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
1 1/4 inch standpipe might work for your machine but wont meet USA plumbing codes. Why do you need to copy us? just follow how your country wants it unless you are unregulated in which case I'd put trap higher like 2 foot and limit stand pipe to about 3 foot .

Jtrudel90

Reaction score
1 1/4 inch standpipe might work for your machine but wont meet USA plumbing codes. Why do you need to copy us? just follow how your country wants it unless you are unregulated in which case Id put trap higher like 2 foot and limit stand pipe to a
sounds good, all I could find was back in 2012 ,1.5" pipe would work but a 2" trap was required then there was some forum posts that it was going to change to 2" for the complete standpipe/trap. I read a post stating the Max standpipe length of 30inch was b/c the velocity of the water would run the trap dry. which I can understand BUT, what is the logic with the height requirement in the states for the P-Trap from the floor ?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks