Kitchen Sink Plumbing & External walls

Users who are viewing this thread

JanSolo

Reaction score
Hello again, o wise plumbing masters!
I'm back again with my latest project; I'm redoing the kitchen cabinets and will need to tidy up the plumbing for the sink, dishwasher and fridge ice-maker.

Here is a picture of the current situation under the kitchen sink.
Notice that the icemaker line is disconnected; it was leaky and hasn't worked in years.
The dishwasher drain is coming into a Y just above the U-bend; you can't see it because of the angle.

sink01.jpg

Here are my questions:

1. The sink is facing an external wall (with a window). I was planning on replacing the copper with pex and putting all the water lines & drains in this wall. Is this a bad idea? Seeing all the old pipes coming up from the floor gave me some pause. Presumably it was done that way to avoid freezing during the winter, no? I live in Quebec; -20C is not unusual here. I imagine I'd have to insulate the crap outta any pipes I place in the wall. What's the right thing to do? Keep them coming up thru the floor? It would complicate the flooring, tiles and cabinet install but I'll do it if necessary.

2. With all the drains and copper pipes coming out of the floor, I don't even see how I can remove the old cabinets without totally destroying the cabinets and maybe the pipes too! Any tips for this?

Thanks again, my dear plumbing wizards!

Jan.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Your sink drain system need a plumbing vent...even an AAV (air admittance valve) at worst.
that's all I have energy for now.

JanSolo

Reaction score
Your sink drain system need a plumbing vent...even an AAV (air admittance valve) at worst.
that's all I have energy for now.
You are right... I hadn't even considered the venting situation. This sink is nowhere near the vent stack in the house; I suppose a AAV will have to do.
Cheers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks