What is the maximum height a toilet flange can be from the floor and still seal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A toilet flange is designed to be installed on top of the finished floor, and tightly mounted to it. Any stock flange installed that way should allow any toilet to be mounted successfully. Some toilets don't have a very deep well for the wax seal, and may not allow the toilet to sit flush on the floor if the flange is too high. Some of the all-plastic toilet flanges have square edges, which can make clearance problems if it's not sitting level and flush with the floor.

So, it can be a combination of the toilet, the shape of the flange's edges, and its height as to what will fit. You want enough room so the toilet will fit without rocking, and not squeeze out all of the wax.

Dan Piano

Reaction score
I’m just trying to figure out what to do. My flange has a 5/8 piece of plywood glued and screwed to raise it up . I’m using Ditra with 1/4 inch tile. I think I’m going to be about an 1/8 low. You think it will be a problem

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The ultimate question is where will the top of the flange be once the floor is finished. There are millions of places where the flange is depressed or even with the finished floor. That's not ideal, but few things in life are and work. Some toilets won't fit if the flange is too high...they'll rock on the flange. You could shim the toilet slightly after putting it on shims to make it solid. In most places, you should caulk around the toilet bottom to keep things sanitary, so you wouldn't notice if it is sitting slightly above.

Dan Piano

Reaction score
Jeff at this point my flange is 5/8 high.
The ultimate question is where will the top of the flange be once the floor is finished. There are millions of places where the flange is depressed or even with the finished floor. That's not ideal, but few things in life are and work. Some toilets won't fit if the flange is too high...they'll rock on the flange. You could shim the toilet slightly after putting it on shims to make it solid. In most places, you should caulk around the toilet bottom to keep things sanitary, so you wouldn't notice if it is sitting slightly above.
Right so at this point my wax ring will probably be an 1/8 to 3/16 thick. I think I’m going to try and lower that spacer by an 1/8

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying your ring sits higher than the floor, but does not hit the toilet. Note that the ring needs to be screwed down . If there is any clearance, wax can adjust. Make sure the toilet does not rock. If there is any rocking without wax, put shims in place. Lift the toilet, place the wax (no horn), and drop the toilet onto the wax and shims.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
As long as you have some wax between the toilet and the flange, you should be fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks