PEX-A installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
So, I'm an old school DIYer. I've received great help here before. I bought a Ryan home a little over a year ago. All of the supply lines are PEX-A. I'm used to copper. What I've done in the past is tie into existing supply and putting in shutoffs so I can work downstream without shutting off the whole house for extended periods. Solder and you're done. It's a 10 minute job. What I findwith the PEX-A is the fittings leak. I've put in these stubs without having the water on for 2 hours. I shut the valves, turn on the water and fittings leak. My better half went to bed angry because we don't have water.

I'm afraid of connecting the rest and still having it water everywhere. How do you guys ensure the fittings don't leak?

Reach4

Reaction score
PEX-A fittings leak? That is unusual. How about a photo of a leaking fitting... close but not super close. Show some pipe too.

I had a Uponor pex-A fittings leak for a time, but I attribute that to my technique. I can describe my malfunction, but that is not important. I put a worm gear clamp around the expansion ring, and the leak stopped. I was later able to remove that worm gear clamp without leaking.

Also, what markings are on the pipe?

Reaction score
This Tee leaked. Here is the pipe as requested.
Tee.jpg

Pex.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I cannot speak to your pex A problem. I am a certified Uponor PEX installer. We only use same-brand complete system parts.

If we ever had an issue with UPONOR fittings, we would immediately call the rep and get someone on the case.
Contact your supplier or rep.

Reach4

Reaction score
How old is the house? Still under warranty by chance?

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
What does that have to do with the work that I’m doing?

A response like that is a good way to keep people from helping you.

Age of home and if it is under warranty or not will help guide those who are willing to answer you.

Reaction score
A response like that is a good way to keep people from helping you.

Age of home and if it is under warranty or not will help guide those who are willing to answer you.
My apologies if that came across poorly. I’m not asking about work done by the builder. I’m asking about work that I am doing. I m sorry if I don’t see the applicability of age/warranty on my modifications.

Reach4

Reaction score
You seemed to be concerned about a leaking PEX tee. That may not be part of what your immediate concern is.

Are you asking how to tie into PEX with PEX, or how to tie in to PEX to run to a copper stubout?

Last edited:
Reaction score
You seemed to be asking about a leaking PEX tee.

What are you asking?
I am asking about fittings that I installed.

From my OP “
I've put in these stubs without having the water on for 2 hours. I shut the valves, turn on the water and fittings leak…

I'm afraid of connecting the rest and still having it water everywhere.

How do you guys ensure the fittings don't leak?”

Reach4

Reaction score
Can't see what you are pointing to. What stubs? URL?
How did you connect? Clamp, copper rings, expansion rings after using an expander tool as in your photos?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The OP cut in the tee in the picture in photo 3, and it is leaking.

How about a photo where the camera is pointed perpendicular to the plane of the tee? Were all of your cuts on the PEX square? Are the expansions rings fully seated on the end of the pipe? Are the expansion rings all touching the stops on the tee?

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
Oh.... why was he talking about the builder and the stubs, and making the general statement rather than saying that the tee that he put in leaks? Is that because there are two more leaks for the stubs he put in?
In that case, are we sure he used F1960 expansion fittings rather than "PEX" fittings?

Did he twice expand the same pipe?

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
In that case, are we sure he used F1960 expansion fittings rather than "PEX" fittings?
My experience with different PEX fittings is limited, but doesn't the little black tab visible against the expansion ring mean it's an F1960 fitting?

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
I was wondering about that. I have only used F1960. I used a hand tool. My only leaks were when I expanded twice due to the ring sliding onto the pipe in my first attempt due to wet a wet pipe. I worked around that with a worm gear clamp around the ring, but later I removed the clamp, and no leak.

Reaction score

How about a photo where the camera is pointed perpendicular to the plane of the tee? Were all of your cuts on the PEX square? Are the expansions rings fully seated on the end of the pipe? Are the expansion rings all touching the stops on the tee?

Cheers, Wayne
Yes. Yes. And yes.

Reaction score
Oh.... why was he talking about the builder and the stubs, and making the general statement rather than saying that the tee that he put in leaks? Is that because there are two more leaks for the stubs he put in?

Did he twice expand the same pipe?
I talked about the builder because you brought up age of the home and warranty. Again, as a DIYer, I do this work over a couple of days. I can’t turn off the supply to the whole house during that time. I stub in a valve in each cold and hot supply so I can work downstream without having the water off.

I guess I put in too much background information. Back to my original question:

How do you guys ensure the fittings don't leak?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks