Running water line to tiny house from well. Do I need a backflow or Check valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sbas

Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to be running a pex line underground (insulated) to a tiny house on wheels directly from the well (not external hose bib).

Do I need a check valve or backflow valve? I want to make sure none of the water potentially mixes with the main house line. Here is a photo inside the pump house. Blue circle is where I would come out from.

IMG-7976.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sure its possible to contaminate but why the concern ? you could put a check valve or backflow device on both homes if you want I just don't think its usually needed

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok. So it's not possible for water to run back into well? Or water line from main house to mix with this new line?
There is a check valve at and or just above the pump. Since water is essentially incompressible, water cannot go down the well.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Op seemed concerned with contaminating from one house to another, and the well. I don't see issue

Reach4

Reaction score
A time when you would want a check valve between houses is if you put an additional pressure tank at the house that does not have the pressure switch. Most advise to not have that additional pressure tank in the other house, but if you have it, I would put in the check valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
I recommend that you not add a check valve between the well and the pressure switch. Check valve in line with the pipe that feeds the second house should not cause a problem, but it is not the norm.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If You are overly concerned about cross contamination there are ways to eliminate or certainly limit . We often install such devices when they aren't needed , to satisfy specs or code, just like putting anti siphon devices on hosebibs .
Just put your check valve where it wont hurt operation I think its likely unnecessary , you should rip out all the old piping and repipe it if concerned about contaminants my opinion

Sbas

Reaction score
You can add all the check valves you want after the pressure tank. But then you will need an expansion tank at the water heater as well.
I have a tankless electric water heater so do not need an expansion tank

Sbas

Reaction score
I recommend that you not add a check valve between the well and the pressure switch. Check valve in line with the pipe that feeds the second house should not cause a problem, but it is not the norm.
Hey, so what is the pressure switch? And what is the downside to running one?

I planned to run a seperate line that will have 1_) Shut off valve 2) Sediment filter 3) check valve 4) Water filter

Sbas

Reaction score
There is already a pressure switch by the pressure tank, which is the only pressure switch needed.
Oh ok gotcha. Yea that regulates it betwwen 40-60 psi.

What size line do you reccomend I run? 1/2 or 5/8 pex?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
3/4 minimum you could run 1 inch but 3/4 probably good especially if you're never using it for anything else

Sbas

Reaction score
3/4 minimum you could run 1 inch but 3/4 probably good especially if you're never using it for anything else
Ok thanks! I will stick with 3/4".

A few other questions I have for anyone willing to answer:
1) Would you reccomend Heatlink Pex A over brands like sharkbite or Apollo? The plumber I spoke to locally made it sound like it's far superior.
2) Besides running the line, adding shut off valve, sediment filter, and check valve (sounds like this is optional but I will do it), is there anything I should make sure to do? Maybe I am overcomplicating things but just want to make sure it's done right.
3) Reccomended to blowout the line when i am gone for 2 months in winter? Pex will be 10 inches underground with insulation.

Reach4

Reaction score
Heatlink was new to me, and made in Canada. Licensed by Uponor. https://www.heatlink.com/content/heatlink-signs-licensing-agreement-uponor

PEX A can be used with expansion fittings, so the ID is bigger than those using the crimp or clamp fittings.

Apollo makes PEX A for some of its pipe.

Sharkbite PEX is PEX B, and use crimp or clamp fittings.

https://www.hammerpedia.com/oregon-frost-line/ says the frost line in Eugene is 12 inches. So officially you should probably blow out your pipe. How about putting it a tad lower?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks