Toilet Noises

Users who are viewing this thread

Lzrsrgn

Reaction score
Toilet leaking from base (where it met the tile floor). Pulled it, flange is 1/4” - 3/8” above tile floor. Replaced wax ring, replaced toilet.
Still leaking. Noticed a hairline crack in toilet base…not sure if that was the issue or if I tightened the bolts too much.
Replaced with a TOTO Ultramax one piece, reinforced wax ring. Shimmed. No leaks now, but after flushing and tank refills, hear loud gurgling sounds coming from the soil stack for about 15-30 seconds (gurgling, tinkling). No other toilets in house doing this.
My thinking is that its either a blockage downstream or blocked vent pipe. Plan is to pull toilet and power auger downstream, then replace. If problem persists, will go into attic and cut vent stack to see if that helps (roof is highly pitched, not going up on it to check).
Thoughts about this plan? Thanks so much, Steven.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
more thought , yea its likely a drain blockage unlikely in the vent could be septic

Lzrsrgn

Reaction score
is it feasable to rundown vent stack with snake? rather than pull w/c
I could do that by cutting into the vent stack in the attic, but it‘s the same amount of work for me. Toilet isn’t caulked, would take just a few minutes to pull and reset.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am wondering if the bowl is being over-refilled. Water is slowly dropping over the weir (internal to the toilet).

As a test, move the refill tube to play into the tank rather than the overflow. Does the subject sound happen then?

This is only as a test. The longer term solution would be to adjust the refill. That may take an additional part such as a new refill tube with a valve.

Lzrsrgn

Reaction score
I am wondering if the bowl is being over-refilled. Water is slowly dropping over the weir (internal to the toilet).

As a test, move the refill tube to play into the tank rather than the overflow. Does the subject sound happen then?

This is only as a test. The longer term solution would be to adjust the refill. That may take an additional part such as a new refill tube with a valve.
No, this happened with both toilets and I can see that the valve closes before the waterline hits the overfill tube.

Lzrsrgn

Reaction score

You are correct, sir, that is EXACTLY what the problem was. The bowel was being overfilled. WHY would this happen with a brand new TOTO toilet?

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know why. You could ask Toto, and perhaps they could provide a solution.

One other possiblity is that the tank refills too high, and water travels up the refill clip by capillary action, and down the overflow to the bowl, and then over the weir. If the tank refills to more than 1/2 inch short of the overflow, reduce the refill.

is an adjustable refill tube.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks