Question about PEX manifold

Users who are viewing this thread

Stoppn24

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if the order you place ur fixtures on a PEX manifold matters. Wouldn’t the hot water coming in be battling cold water on unprimed side of manifold more or less depending on which fixture you use and where you placed it on the manifold. I’m in the process of building a copper manifold and was wondering about this. I would prefer not to get Luke warm water for a while before the whole manifold is primed.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I'm understanding your question correctly, I think would be possible to get cold streaks in your hot water but not very likely. There is no battle taking place. Everything is at equal pressure until you open a tap. The line running to that tap has now had a severe pressure drop and the water runs out. New water under higher pressure from the source comes to take its place.

Stoppn24

Reaction score
I just thought some of that new hot water would mix in with the unprimed cool water whilr it’s moving towards the o
If your building a manifold like this for instance not water will need multiple return lines from baths and kitchen.
https://www.amazon.com/Viega-50250-...phy=9023803&hvtargid=pla-653531718639[/QUOTE]
Why do i need return lines?

Fitter30

Reaction score
I just thought some of that new hot water would mix in with the unprimed cool water whilr it’s moving towards the o

Why do i need return lines?
hot water will not leave the water heater till a valve is turned on or a through a return line getting pump back to the heater if you want instant hot water. If not just have to wait a minute or two to get the faucet.

Enzo09

Reaction score
As long as you have separate manifolds one for hot and one for cold there will not be a issue. The only thing is you will wait longer for hot water depending on how far the fixtures are requiring it. To avoid this I would recommend a recirculation line

Stoppn24

Reaction score
As long as you have separate manifolds one for hot and one for cold there will not be a issue. The only thing is you will wait longer for hot water depending on how far the fixtures are requiring it. To avoid this I would recommend a recirculation line
How do you do a recirculating line with a manifold. Could I do three different return lines all converging into one that head to the recirculating pump?

Stoppn24

Reaction score
How do you do a recirculating line with a manifold. Could I do three different return lines all converging into one that head to the recirculating pump?
I basically have 2 bathroom sink faucets and one kitchen. And those are the only things I would consider needing instant hot water

Enzo09

Reaction score
Yes you would need pumps on each line or one with each line having a return then valves on each of them by the header to balance

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What type of manifold are you using? Some exclude the use of recirculation through them such as Manibloc.. If your manifold is really close to each fixture, then perhaps you only need your recirculation loop to pass through, or pass closely by your manifold. A single loop is much simpler and less expensive than several balanced loops.

Stoppn24

Reaction score
What type of manifold are you using? Some exclude the use of recirculation through them such as Manibloc.. If your manifold is really close to each fixture, then perhaps you only need your recirculation loop to pass through, or pass closely by your manifold. A single loop is much simpler and less expensive than several balanced loops.
Custom copper manifold with uponor valves

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks